03:59AM | 05/30/99
Hello all. Well, my family and I have finially been able to get our first home and of course there is work to be done. Including upgrading an antiquated 100 amp fuse box and wiring throught the house. It is a 45 year old Split. Any feedback on cost, suggestions of products or general do's & dont's would be appreciated. Thanks



09:43PM | 05/30/99

Giving you an accurate estimate can be difficult since I’ve never seen your home, and it is hard to define “normal conditions”. I live about 30 miles north of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We completed an upgrade similar to what you are considering, about a year ago. The initial estimate was $750.00 for a simple 200-amp upgrade. When finished, the total cost was $1060.00. This included more work than just the replacement of the panel, some we did because we wanted to, and some of which you may need to do as well

First off, it sounds like you have fuses and not circuit breakers. If so, then there is really nothing salvageable from your current supply. Going to a 200-amp panel will no-doubt require a new meter box and meter. Your utility company should supply the meter free (ours did) but the box it hooks into is usually the responsibility of the homeowner. The price we paid included a new box.

You also need to find out if the supply lines from the street will handle 200 amps. In my experience, most older 100-amp homes will need to have these supply lines replaced with larger wire, and part of this can also be the responsibility of the homeowner. In our case, we had buried cable, and we would be responsible for the excavation and filling of the ditch, and the electric company would be responsible for the under-the-street drilling and running new cable to the house. We were lucky here, the original owner had some forethought, and the cable is in fact oversized. If you have overhead cables, then your cost may be significantly reduced if not eliminated.

Our home originally had a 100 amp fused main disconnect located in the garage, with a sub-panel of circuit breakers located in the stairwell in the middle of the house. The meters (we had/have two) were mounted on a retaining wall just outside the garage where the main disconnect was. There were also several small sub-panels mounted around the main disconnect, added for various reasons over the 45-year life of the house. For $1060, we had the following work done (it took 3 separate days to complete):

1. A new 200-amp, 40-space service panel was mounted in the garage, replacing the main disconnect and surrounding small add-on panels.
2. A 100-amp, 20-apace panel replacing the old sub-panel in the stairwell.
3. Two new meter boxes, as mentioned earlier. In case you were wondering what the second meter is for, the electric company allows us to hook up any 240-volt appliance to what they call off-peak service. They charge us a discounted rate, but there are certain times of the day/night when power to that service is shut off.
4. A 30-amp separate disconnect was installed next to the new main panel, which supplies the electric water heater, the only item we currently have for the off-peak service. The off-peak could conceivably be expanded up to 100 amps separate from the 200-amp main service, but that would probably require new service lines since both off-peak and regular service use the same ones.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but there is more. If your home is 45 years old, the house wiring is probably 2-wire, non-grounded affair, unless it was upgraded since the house was built. If you have 2-prong outlets, then you probably have an ungrounded system, and your municipality/utility may not allow you to upgrade to 200-amp service unless the home wiring is upgraded as well. That can be pricey. You will need to verify what you have, as well as the local codes.

As I mentioned, my home is also 45 years old, but again, the original owner was ahead of his time, and my home was built completely grounded even though I had 2-prong outlets. I simply replaced the receptacles. But don’t be unnerved. Depending on your exact situation there are ways to work around the problem. I will spare you another long-winded description by simply having you talk to a local qualified electrician. You can always post again if you have more questions.

I always suggest, get more than one estimate, and check with your municipality for helpful advice and required permits. Good luck - TomR

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... This spacious mudroom just off from the laundry room has plenty of room for tucking towels away and drying off after a dip... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon