Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


06:55AM | 12/19/02
Member Since: 12/18/02
1 lifetime posts
We are having a new home built. Our current home has a 200 Amp service provided, and our current home has electic HWH and all the standard appliances. We have gas heat. Current home is approximately 1700 square feet. Almost the entire circuit box is occupied with little room for addition of circuits. Our new home will be over 2400 square feet with an unfinished basement. It will also have the same characteristics EXCEPT the basement will be unfinished. I plan to get it finished, but am concerned that a 200 Amp service may not be sufficient for future expansion in the new home. Anyone have any simple methods for determining what should se a sufficient Amp service to the home? My main concern is with the installation of a basement home theater at one end, and a small workshop with a few power tools at the other. If it were just a drill and a circular saw, I wouldn't be too concerned but I will have a table saw, compound miter saw, etc. Knowing that I won't be running more than one tool at a time...

Anyway, anyone can provide some suggestions for an EASY way to determine sufficient amperage would be very helpful.



08:13AM | 12/19/02
Member Since: 08/31/02
11 lifetime posts
Alot of information will go into this determination. Follow this link to a standard table for different items included in the calculation. From the table you can see a 3000 sq.ft. home, with all the items listed, will draw only around 117amps.

click here

You should be ok with 200amp. Use the forms available to figure your case seperatly. I can get another form online with a sample calculation form, however use of the NEC and an electrician can help you.

Rick Miell

[This message has been edited by Rmiell (edited December 19, 2002).]


12:16PM | 12/19/02
Member Since: 08/30/02
32 lifetime posts
Your problem is not amperage, it is not having sufficient space (within in the panel) for circuit breakers...that is easily resolved by using a subpanel (thus picking up numerous breaker spaces).


01:33PM | 12/19/02
Member Since: 09/17/02
524 lifetime posts
A breaker panel is limited to 42 breakers. You double up with tandem breakers ven though they will fit. If you need more than 42 you will have to add a sub panel.

harold endean

04:40PM | 12/23/02
Member Since: 08/30/02
23 lifetime posts
Not to say that anyone is wrong, but most residental service panels are only rated for 40 circuits. Look at the manufactures instructions. The largest 200 amp single phase panels are rated for 40 circuits and some 3 phase panels can handle up to 42 circuits. This doesn't mean that you can't use twins, but some panels only allow full size breakers.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button