Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


03:08PM | 06/08/03
Member Since: 06/07/03
2 lifetime posts
I would like to change the old fuse panel at my cabin to circuit breakers. I'm pretty sure I need to contact an electrician, but is this a major job or an easy one? Expensive? I also need to run a line for lights and outlets to the shed. How hard is it to add a new spot in the old fuse box? Any other suggestions on these would be great. Thanks.


04:02PM | 06/08/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
524 lifetime posts
Very hard to quote prices without seeing the situtaion. Panel upgrade could be anywhere from $500- $1500. It depends on how much of the service entrance has to be changed and how difficult it is.


06:47PM | 06/08/03
Member Since: 06/07/03
2 lifetime posts
Hmmm, I think I'll fall back on the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Since I really dont have any problems with the old fuse panel, just wanted to update a little. Thanks


04:47PM | 06/10/03
Member Since: 08/30/02
32 lifetime posts
Waldo - here is another option at about 1/2 the price (or less) of a new service.

Keep the original fused service but feed a sub-panel from it - this will give you the extra circuit space you may want for additional lighting/recep loads and the ease of working with circuit breakers.

There is an assumption here (this is a cabin) that you do not have a lot of 'load' on this service, so adding a sub-panel is more of a convenience for additional circuit wiring rather than adding substantial load to your existing service.

Obviously, all this depends on the particular kind of fused service you have.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button