05:01PM | 09/15/03
Member Since: 07/20/03
17 lifetime posts
What kind of disconnecting means do I need for my well pump? It is 1/2HP, on a 2pole 20amp breaker.
Can I use a regular 2pole switch, or do I need a disconnect box?


08:50PM | 09/16/03
Member Since: 05/11/03
62 lifetime posts
No you can not use a standard switch. You need a "disconnect" that is rated at 20 amps 240 volt minimum. Be sure it is a two pole (so you can disconnect both hot wires) disconnect.

Tom O

02:17PM | 09/17/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
477 lifetime posts
You may not need a disconnect at all if the following two conditions are met, the controller is within sight of and within 50 feet of the circuit breaker for the pump.

If you do need a disconnect, then it would be possible to use a general-use snap switch suitable for use on AC current only, where the full load current of ther motor does not exceed 80% of the ampere ratiing of the switch. In my opinion, a 2 pole 20 amp switch will be fine for this application.

Also, I feel that your circuit breaker size is too big. Unless the nameplate on your pump calls for a 20 amp breker, a 1/2 horsepower motor at 230 volts should be on a 15 amp breaker.


[This message has been edited by Tom O (edited September 17, 2003).]

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon