Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


05:32PM | 11/20/04
Member Since: 11/19/04
1 lifetime posts
Good Evening,

I went to plug in a vcr to a wall outlet and there was a popping sound and now there's some black markings on the face plate.

What is this called? Blowing a fuse? Please advise what occurred.

I won't be using that outlet anymore.

Until I have this looked at, is there any risk in using the outlet that sits right above it and so far seems okay? Please advise what risks are involved until I can get it looked at next week? Thanks!


04:11AM | 11/21/04
Member Since: 11/13/04
90 lifetime posts
i'm no electrician, but it sounds like that outlet has partialy shorted out and the black marks are the result. if it were me, i'd find the fuse/breaker for that outlet and turn off the power. if it is shorted, it could possibly cause a fire. [may sound drastic, but better safe then sorry]


10:25AM | 11/22/04
Member Since: 11/15/04
6 lifetime posts
Change the outlet out with a new one , while in there , make sure that the wires are not shorted to ground or anything with a ohm test on teh wiring.



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button