Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting

tomc1965

04:52AM | 01/28/05
Member Since: 01/27/05
2 lifetime posts
I have a 1928 Four Square home. It has knob and tube wiring. I just found out I have blown in foam insulation (Looks like a very fine styrofoam). Is this a big problem with knob and tube wiring? Fire hazard?

Secondly when I saw a wire inside a bathroom wall I clipped it and wire nutted off both white and black on both sides of the wire (One wire going up one wire going down). When I turned on the circuit breaker again both the wire leading up and leading down were showing up as hot (Using an inductance type of stick) . Is this a normal operation for knob and tube or is my wiring screwed up?

bravey

02:17PM | 01/28/05
Member Since: 06/23/04
161 lifetime posts
Technically, knob and tube wiring should be in free air, not covered. However, I had the same arrangement in my house for twenty years. Foam insulation had been added inside the walls and eight inches of fiberglass batts were added in the attic. I never had a problem. For other reasons I have since rewired with grounded sheathed electrical cable.

On the other hand, randomly cutting wire inside of walls is not wise. In two wire systems (which I assume you have with knob and tube) cutting the white wire probably disconnected your ground to all downstream loads. The white wire then becomes a HOT wire but with somewhat less potential because the current will have already passed through the downstream connected loads. Also, those downstream connected loads will not operate. You might want to reconsider the situation.

Regards


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register