Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


10:40AM | 02/20/06
Member Since: 02/18/06
1 lifetime posts
one question here.

installing a 100 amp lug subpanel in my basement to be feed from 100 amp breaker in main panel...

what type/size of wire am i asking for ?

(in newyork)


11:47AM | 02/20/06
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
You may use #4 copper (two hot, one neutral) and a #8 copper ground (insulated), type THHN or THWN in most jurisdictions.

Tom O

02:48PM | 02/20/06
Member Since: 09/17/02
476 lifetime posts
If your work will be subject to inspection, many jurisdictions rigorously enforce the ampacity tables and the exception that allows #4 copper for dwelling services or "the main feeder" would not be allowed for a sub-panel. #3 THHN copper would be the minimum size and if you will be using a cable such as NM-B, #2 copper would be the required size. If in doubt, consult your local inspector.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button