06:47AM | 01/12/99
The previous owners probably left the wet shower curtain against the wall as a result the wall is 'falling apart' in the area. I need to replace/ repair this 4"x 10" area. HOW?

Thomas M

01:02AM | 01/13/99
Hi belle!

First of all,locate the wall studs and then take a framing square or a level and mark a rectangle slightly larger than the damaged area(center your vertical lines on stud centers to allow an area to fasten the patch,then score the lines w/a utility knife and cut it out w/the knife or a keyhole saw."Clean-up" the edges of your cuts and along the horizontal edges of the sound drywall(if needed)fasten furring strips half behind drywall and half exposed,for an area to screw to.Then buy the drywall to match the thickness of the existing wall,cut and screw to your studs and nailers w/ 1 1/4" coarse thread drywall screws(sink the heads slightly below the surface).Then apply mesh tape to joints and finish w/joint compound(usually 2 coats),sand,prime and paint!See that's no so bad..oh and one more thing..since this is in a bathroom I'd recommend you buying "MR board"it's moisture resistant and great for humid areas.Have fun w/your project!

Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon