09:38AM | 02/21/01
Member Since: 02/20/01
2 lifetime posts
I have a whole house of textured walls.
I am in process of painting the house and want a smooth surfaced walls.
How do I remove the texture from the walls?



12:58PM | 02/21/01
Put warm water into a spray bottle. Spray texture, will have to experiment with how much water your spray on each area, let it soak for a few minutes. Then scrape with a drywall knife (6") not a putty knife. Should remove texture if it is Joint Compound. Try go get away with using as little water as possible to avoid soaking drywall paper.


05:42PM | 05/19/01
Member Since: 05/18/01
2 lifetime posts
I have this same problem! My walls I believe are painted, but could it be the actual drywall? (I don't know much about this stuff) The whole house has it, even the ceilings, (white) and it looks like it was kind of sponged on (swirls and bumps). I really want to get rid of it in a couple rooms. Someone told me I'd have to sand it all down. Is there an easier way? Thanks!


08:18AM | 05/23/01
Member Since: 04/05/01
32 lifetime posts
PattyB's suggestion will not work if it's plaster and not joint compound as she said. I have heard from several people who had varying degrees of success with this method. If it doesn't work for you, you will either have to sand the walls down or have a skim layer of drywall/joint compound put over top. Even if the removal method works for you you will likely need to sand.

I purchased a sanding attachment for my shop-vac that has a hose, two different size connectors, a sanding pad with holes for airflow and 1 piece of sanding screen. I used it to sand patching and paint build-up this past weekend and I found it worked quite well. I had very little clean up and found the suction was adequate after I had put in two new filters (the one around the blower is the most important). One thing I did find, though, is that you would likely need medium and a fine screen to get a good finish suitable for painting.

When all is said and done, though, it might be a lot quicker and easier to get a drywaller or plasterer in to put a skim coat on to flaten the walls. That's probably your best bet for a good finish.

Good luck


02:50PM | 01/29/08
Member Since: 01/28/08
2 lifetime posts
can i just put up 1/4" drywall over the existing drywall, screw it on, mud it up and repaint?


04:16PM | 01/29/08
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
Why go to all that work and cost when you could just skim the walls and be done. Plus what about your woodwork when you put up the new drywall.


06:52AM | 01/30/08
Member Since: 01/28/08
2 lifetime posts
is there a way to skim the walls myself and not screw it all up. i mean is there a way to get great results with out hireing someone


04:35AM | 01/31/08
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
If you are very handy yes, but there is an art to doing this well.


10:20AM | 03/12/08
Member Since: 03/11/08
2 lifetime posts
what is skimming?


12:44PM | 03/13/08
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
It is putting a thin coat of drywall mud over the surface of the wall with a wide broadknife.
Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon