Latest Discussions : Painting


07:24AM | 01/04/07
Member Since: 01/03/07
1 lifetime posts
I have a 5 gal. bucket of joint compound, bought this summer. I used about 10% of it on two small jobs in July and Sept (3-5 months ago), and the bucket has been stored in my basement. I opened it yesterday, and found fuzzy red mold growing all over it, with a good number of spots of black mold as well.

I've never had this happen before - sometimes I've had partial buckets stored for years, and it's still good when I'm ready to use it. And, I can't find any mention of this problem on this site or through any Google search either.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any way to prevent it? If I remove the mold, is it OK to use the rest of the bucket? Should I contact the manufacturer and ask them to compensate me for the bad batch?


02:19AM | 01/06/07
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
Do not use this joint compound unless you want mold on your walls they you may not ever get rid of, anyway joint compound is cheap. It is not the fault of the manufacturer as the mold spors got in while you were useing it and have been growing in that nice moist enviroment.


02:22PM | 01/21/07
Member Since: 01/20/07
1 lifetime posts
i bought this 5 gal bucket in june '06

used about 1/3 & replaced plastic cover to keep the air off the surface of the remainder.

opened it today 1/21/07 and found lots of kinda furry or fuzzy red and black dots both on top of the plastic sheet and also underneath. i've never seen this in other partial buckets that i've stored long term but i'd wager that the dots were mold

not one to waste materials, i tried to scrape off the top inch and found that the odd coloration seemd to go at least 4" deep into the mud.

not wanting to build mold into my house i've pitched the bucket and bought a new one.

i decided to search the net to see what i could find and found this forum as one of the few hits. wondering if anyone can shed light on why this happened to this bucket.

the last places this bucket was used were apparently mold free but you can't see what lurks at the microscopic level.

the last time i used the bucket was when it was about 100 days old and it seemed kinda dry on top so before i put the lid on the last time i sprinkled some good old city tap water on top to add a bit of moisture.

the bucket was stored wqith lid on tightly, inside the house, in a closed space.

this is remarkable to me because i've done all of this before and never had this experience.

i know that there are a lot of different variables, but anyone else have something to add or some scientific insight?


wait a little longer, try a little harder - success is imminent


04:58PM | 01/22/07
Member Since: 03/08/06
192 lifetime posts
I always treat my bucket of joint compound like Mayo, use a clean utensil to remove what you need and don't double dip. Work off of piece of cardboard or something, don't work right out of the bucket.

I use UPS priority boxes or Kitty litter lids.


03:32PM | 08/25/09
Member Since: 08/24/09
1 lifetime posts
I'm going to preface this by clearly acknowledging that I should have read this thread prior to my latest project.

Last week I began updating my son's bedroom which included skim-coating the walls with joint compound, and then sanding it smooth prior to Primer & Paint.

I had no idea that the joint compound had any mold in it and am now suffering with a mighty case of Mold Allergies: My upper body,my thighs, my calfs, my arms and my face look like a topographical map.

I've got welts inside my ear canals, under my chin, inside my mouth. . . on and on.

Had I chosen to work with a respirator - I probably would have avoided this uncomfortable malady.Whenever the swelling and the welts have gone down, I'll be off to H/D for a 3m Tyvek suit and a breathing respirator so that I can finish the work, and I'll be sure to kill all the mold that I can see.

Also, I've tossed the Joint Compound out to let it dry in the sun.

Take my advice. . . do your research and Do Know that Mold is no joking matter. One exposure ( for a person with acute Allergies ) can be a deadly situation. Fortunately I do not have such a reaction to mold, but I am also aware that the next exposure could be my last - if my system decides that it can't handle any more.


06:13PM | 08/27/09
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
I would remove that moldy joint compound from those walls if I was you. It will most likely cause you problems down the road.


10:11PM | 09/26/15
Put sum bleatch in the pale after use then mix in before use.


10:36AM | 02/03/16
I treat JC like lumber. I try to buy only what I need. No storing. For smaller jobs,and touch-up,ust get a one gallon bucket.


04:36PM | 04/28/20
Does the bleach help ???


08:42AM | 06/23/21
I purchased a box of all purpose joint compound and had it stored for almost a year before I got to the project. When I opened the box it had a bright red, what I believe to be mold around it under the plastic bag it is contained in. I have been doing this kind of work for many years and have never seen this before, this was a new unopened box. Does any one know what or why this has happened and how dangerous it is?

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button