Latest Discussions : Painting


03:30PM | 10/31/08
Member Since: 10/30/08
3 lifetime posts
Hi all;

I have a small repair job on a bathroom wall in my old apartment in NYC. I removed the original medicine cabinet from the late 40's, and will put in a wall-mounted unit I already took delivery on. The walls are lath and plaster. The hole the cabinet was in had been framed framed by 2 X 4's, so I just screwed in two more 2X4s vertically/in the center of the hole to give the drywall something to bite into. I screwed the drywall in and now I have two issues--there is about a 1/4-1/8" difference between the drywall and the depth of the actual original wall, the other being the really ragged gap between the old plaster/lath wall and the new drywall. What is the best material to use to fill the gap, and what material should I use over the drywall to build it up and ultimately meet the depth of the wall? I don't need to do an incredible job, as the new cabinet will cover about 85% of the hole to be patched. Thank you in advance!
6351 new medicine cabinet

doug seibert

05:47PM | 10/31/08
Member Since: 08/10/02
842 lifetime posts
It's always easiest if you can match the Patch to the Plaster's depth......

Try removing the patch and adding shims under the drywall......plaster lathes or cardboard would work....attempt to get the exposed portion of the patch exactly flush with the plaster......

Joint compound or plaster patch will complete the repair.....

good luck.....

"......measure Once.....cut Twice....

throw that one away and cut a new one...."


06:13PM | 10/31/08
Member Since: 10/30/08
3 lifetime posts
Thank you! I am getting similar advice on another board. Will do...

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button