15 Things You Should Never Burn in the Fireplace

Is it OK to burn charcoal indoors? Does it matter what kind of wood you throw on the fire? Read on to learn about surprising materials that have no place in your fireplace.

Warm Up Safely

1/16
warm up safely fireplace

Thanks to modern heating technologies, homeowners today no longer have to rely on fire for heat. But that doesn’t mean a crackling fire in the fireplace isn’t a wonderful antidote to a cold evening. Take care, however, that in your zeal to achieve a warming, roaring flame, you don’t toss items that can harm you and your home into the fireplace.

istockphoto.com

Treated or Coated Wood

2/16
Burning Plywood

When you burn coated or pressure-treated wood, toxic chemicals can be released into the air you breathe. For example, wood treated to withstand rot or insects used to contain a form of arsenic, and painted, stained, or varnished woods contain other chemicals—and all these chemicals create toxic fumes when burned. Nix on plywood, too, because adhesives applied during manufacturing release toxic fumes when burned.


Related: 21 Clever Little Things to Do with Scrap Wood

istockphoto.com

Cardboard

3/16
Cardboard fireplace no

Small recyclables are often used to start a roaring fire because they usually catch fire quickly. The next time you need to get a fire going, however, don’t use cardboard (including pizza boxes and cereal boxes), which is often treated with chemicals. Instead, use approved fire starters, available from camping-supply stores, or small splinters of wood, chipped with an axe from your stock of seasoned firewood.

Related: 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace

istockphoto.com

Lighter Fluid

4/16
Burning Lighter Fluid

Never use lighter fluid, charcoal starter fluid, or any other type of accelerant to start a fire in a fireplace. These products are designed for very specific uses and should not be used to fuel an indoor fire, in part because they often contain methanol and petroleum-based chemicals that produce toxic fumes. In addition, the use of accelerants creates an extra-hot fire that can damage your chimney liner.


Related: The Best Smokeless Fire Pits of 2021

istockphoto.com

Magazines and Colored Paper

5/16
paper fireplace no

The inks used to create colorful magazine layouts contain chemical pigments that release toxic fumes when burned. If your fire needs a boost getting started, you may use a couple of sheets (not more) of plain black-and-white newspaper, rolled tightly and placed beneath small bits of wood kindling, but don’t toss magazines, gift wrap, or coupon inserts into the fireplace. Not only do these items create unwanted fumes, but bits of burning paper can float up and out of an uncapped chimney, putting your roof and nearby structures at risk of fire.


Related: 14 Clever New Uses for Old Newspapers

istockphoto.com

Wet Firewood

6/16
Burning Wet Wood

The best thing you can do to make sure your firewood is always fireplace-ready is to keep it dry. For starters, dry wood is easier to light than damp wood. Even more importantly, the moisture in wet firewood makes it smoke and leads to rapid creosote buildup in the chimney liner. In fact, creosote buildup is a leading cause of chimney fires. While you can’t completely avoid creosote, you can reduce the risk of buildup by burning only dry firewood and having your chimney cleaned annually.

Related: Solved! The Best Wood for Burning in the Fireplace

istockphoto.com

Allergen-Producing Brushwood

7/16
Burning Brushwood

You wouldn’t intentionally roll around in a patch of poison oak, but you’ll be putting your whole family at risk if you burn the woody vines from poison sumac, poison ivy, or plants that contain urushiol, a toxic irritant that causes rashes on contact. In winter, when plants lose their leaves, it can be difficult to tell if you’re gathering harmless vines or poisonous ones, so take precautions by avoiding anything you can't identify. The reason? Fumes from burning plants that contain urushiol can trigger serious allergic respiratory reactions.

Related: The Best Wood Burning Fireplace Inserts of 2021

istockphoto.com

Evergreen Wood

8/16
evergreen fireplace no

Evergreen trees, such as pine, spruce, and cedar (yes, even your old Christmas tree), contain resins that catch fire quickly and produce a hot flame. While this might sound good, these trees burn so fast that the fire will fizzle out quickly, and their high resin content can leave heavy creosote deposits in your chimney, which can over time lead to chimney fires.

Related: 12 Simple Tricks to Stay Seriously Warm This Winter

istockphoto.com

Wood Pallets

9/16
Burning Wood Pallets

Finding a way to repurpose wood pallets is a great idea—just don’t burn them. Discarded shipping pallets are popular materials for resourceful DIYers and crafters, but many pallets have been treated with the chemical pesticide methyl bromide to prevent the spread of the emerald ash borer, a beetle that wreaks havoc on living ash trees. Never burn a pallet that bears the stamp “MB,” which indicates that it has been treated with chemicals. Even if you don't see a stamp, it's probably safest to avoid burning pallets altogether.


Related: 16 Insanely Clever Ways to Reuse Household Junk

istockphoto.com

Driftwood

10/16
driftwood fire no

If you’ve ever attended a beach party where driftwood was burned, you probably oohed and aahed at the beautiful lavender-blue flames. Those colorful flames are produced by metal salts that the wood absorbed while it was adrift, and, unfortunately, the fumes from those flames are toxic. Many seaside communities have banned the burning of driftwood for just that reason, so follow their lead and don’t burn wood that you’ve gathered on the beach in your fireplace.


Related: 10 Cheap Ways to Bring the Beach to the Backyard

istockphoto.com

Trash

11/16
Burning Trash no fireplace

Many people do it—toss an empty plastic-foam cup or a used paper plate on an open fire. If you've fallen into the habit, stop now: Most consumer products contain chemicals that produce hazardous fumes when burned. What's worse? Some of the most toxic trash items contain plastic, which releases a category of toxins known as dioxins. Inhaling dioxins increases the risk of respiratory ailments, headaches, internal organ damage, and even cancer.

Related: 11 Things It's Illegal to Throw in the Trash

istockphoto.com

Leaves

12/16
don't use leaves fireplace

Starting a fire at home with a base of dried leaves might seem like an okay idea, but it’s not. First, leaves burn very quickly, and hot. This sudden and extreme change in temperature can crack chimney flues and masonry, which is why it’s best to get your fireplace going with a chimney starter instead. Wet leaves will do the opposite, burning slowly while smoldering and creating a ton of smoke. That smoke generates creosote buildup, which can cause chimney fires.

Related: How to Get Your Fireplace Ready for Winter

istockphoto.com

Fresh Fruit Peels

13/16
fruit peels fireplace

Many folks like adding scents to their fireplace, opting for the fresh aromas of oranges, lemons, apples, and the like. The problem is that fresh, moist fruit peels will smolder in a fire, and lead to abundant smoke and creosote buildup. A better course of action is to dry your fruit peels at a low temperature in the oven, and then toss them on your fire. You’ll still get a fresh scent, but not the moisture.

Related: 12 Ways to Clean House with Citrus

istockphoto.com

Batteries

14/16
batteries no fireplace

Believe it or not, decades ago magazine ads actually encouraged homeowners to burn batteries in their fireplaces because burning zinc was believed to prevent creosote formation (burning batteries also resulted in a rainbow of beautiful colors). While that might’ve been true, modern batteries will explode under extreme heat and potentially cause severe chemical burns. Beyond the potential burns, fumes from burning chemicals are also poisonous. Instead, it’s best to dispose of your batteries the right way.

Related: 9 Types of Batteries Every Homeowner Should Know

istockphoto.com

Fabric

15/16
fabric no fireplace

It might seem like a good idea to throw old T-shirts, rags, and other fabric in a fireplace to start a fire, but you’d be wrong. Cloth and clothing will create a nasty smell as well as a ton of smoke as it smolders. That smoke will coat the inside of the chimney with creosote, which can cause chimney fires. A better course of action is to pack those old shirts up and drop them off at the local homeless shelter or SPCA.

Related: How to Use a Fireplace

istockphoto.com

Charcoal

16/16
charcoal no fireplace

Anyone who’s seen the red-hot glow in the bottom of a charcoal grill knows that charcoal can create a ton of heat. It also produces carbon monoxide, which isn’t as dangerous in the open air as it is indoors. However, if there’s too much draft the charcoal can burn twice as hot as wood, which could damage the chimney or flue. For that reason, charcoal’s best left for summer grilling outdoors.

Related: 5 Things to Do with Charcoal

istockphoto.com

Don't Miss!

1pixel

Sign up today to get crucial reminders and good-to-know tips for maintaining and improving your home!