I have a two story (maybe 1 1/2 since the front half of the house has a 2nd story while the back half rooms have vaulted ceilings with no 2nd floor on top of them. The upstairs ductwork has always been somewhat inadequate in my opinion. Relatively little air flow comes out compared to the downstairs vents. We try and even this out by closing some downstairs vents. We are in Central FL and it gets HOT for a long time. I am thinking about blowing in more insulation in the attic. Questions:
I have included links to pics if it would help. The insulation is pink blown in and is mostly abut 8", though some spots are closer to 6 and even 4 in a few places. Do I need more and how much?
Also, on the vaulted ceiling area, there is no insulation. I assume this would be so as to not block the airflow as it comes up from the downstairs rooms, passing above the vaulted ceilings and into the attic to escape. The pics show a bit of the upstairs insulation and also show a "hole" which is what leads up from above the downstairs ceilings. Was the supposed to be insulation in there or is this truly to be "uninsulated".
In the "drawing" at the end, the 4 levels are the downstairs floor, downstairs ceiling on front side of house, the vaulted ceiling in red, ceiling of 2nd floor (attic above).
If you have an older home or buying one, needing attic insulation, especially wanting to save money - there is a GREAT FHA mortgage program- that adds and corrects needed insulation in the attic or walls... All with no out of pocket costs!!!
For a direct link to the program try http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/eem/energy-r
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING