I've had several contractors come out to give me a bid on maintaining my wood shake roof. When the get out to my house, all they do is spend time telling me how much it will cost to replace it even when I'm clear with them I want to maintain it.
So, what can I do to maintain our roof? How can I make it last as long as possible. It has been on our house for about 10 years.
Also, I have a skylight in the roof, but don't want to get up there to clean the outside of it for fear I might damage the shingles and cannot find anyone to fix it. Any tips for getting it clean w/o damaging the roof?
You will need to wash it first to remove the dirt and mildew that is on the roof and this can be done with a house wash that is based on bleach or there are some on the market that are peroxide based that seem to work fine. You can either just clean it or you can spend more time and strip it down and make it look like brand new and that is your choice. Then you will want to replace any damaged shingles before you seal the roof. I have a customer that uses CWF OIl Based not the UV version and it holds up great when applied twp wet on wet coats like they reccomend. They have gotten at least five years out of this system.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates