I've had several contractors come out to give me a bid on maintaining my wood shake roof. When the get out to my house, all they do is spend time telling me how much it will cost to replace it even when I'm clear with them I want to maintain it.
So, what can I do to maintain our roof? How can I make it last as long as possible. It has been on our house for about 10 years.
Also, I have a skylight in the roof, but don't want to get up there to clean the outside of it for fear I might damage the shingles and cannot find anyone to fix it. Any tips for getting it clean w/o damaging the roof?
You will need to wash it first to remove the dirt and mildew that is on the roof and this can be done with a house wash that is based on bleach or there are some on the market that are peroxide based that seem to work fine. You can either just clean it or you can spend more time and strip it down and make it look like brand new and that is your choice. Then you will want to replace any damaged shingles before you seal the roof. I have a customer that uses CWF OIl Based not the UV version and it holds up great when applied twp wet on wet coats like they reccomend. They have gotten at least five years out of this system.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes