I've had several contractors come out to give me a bid on maintaining my wood shake roof. When the get out to my house, all they do is spend time telling me how much it will cost to replace it even when I'm clear with them I want to maintain it.
So, what can I do to maintain our roof? How can I make it last as long as possible. It has been on our house for about 10 years.
Also, I have a skylight in the roof, but don't want to get up there to clean the outside of it for fear I might damage the shingles and cannot find anyone to fix it. Any tips for getting it clean w/o damaging the roof?
You will need to wash it first to remove the dirt and mildew that is on the roof and this can be done with a house wash that is based on bleach or there are some on the market that are peroxide based that seem to work fine. You can either just clean it or you can spend more time and strip it down and make it look like brand new and that is your choice. Then you will want to replace any damaged shingles before you seal the roof. I have a customer that uses CWF OIl Based not the UV version and it holds up great when applied twp wet on wet coats like they reccomend. They have gotten at least five years out of this system.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs