I've had several contractors come out to give me a bid on maintaining my wood shake roof. When the get out to my house, all they do is spend time telling me how much it will cost to replace it even when I'm clear with them I want to maintain it.
So, what can I do to maintain our roof? How can I make it last as long as possible. It has been on our house for about 10 years.
Also, I have a skylight in the roof, but don't want to get up there to clean the outside of it for fear I might damage the shingles and cannot find anyone to fix it. Any tips for getting it clean w/o damaging the roof?
You will need to wash it first to remove the dirt and mildew that is on the roof and this can be done with a house wash that is based on bleach or there are some on the market that are peroxide based that seem to work fine. You can either just clean it or you can spend more time and strip it down and make it look like brand new and that is your choice. Then you will want to replace any damaged shingles before you seal the roof. I have a customer that uses CWF OIl Based not the UV version and it holds up great when applied twp wet on wet coats like they reccomend. They have gotten at least five years out of this system.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees