We have a terrible fish-like smell in the basement of our house that is getting worse.
The home is 16 years old, with no visible signs of moisture issues. The basement is unfinished, except that the walls and ceiling have been painted white, and there is typical basement carpeting on the floor. Only one part of the basement smells, which is located underneath a dining room. There are no kitchen-like appliances in the vicinity, and both the sewer and sump pump are in different locations. (and do not smell). When our A/C is running, the smell lessens, which probably means that our circulation is working well.
There are some air ducts and water pipes that run through the trusses in the area. Also, the ground under the carpet is not even, as I can feel differences in cement level when I walk barefoot on the carpet.
The only thing I can think of is that there are animals digging under the foundation; but, that wouldn't explain a fish smell. Can anyone help brainstorm what could be causing such a smell, as I am clueless on where to turn?
Should I cover insulation in unfinished basement if ...
Strange smell coming from basement
Insulation unfinished basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them