We have a terrible fish-like smell in the basement of our house that is getting worse.
The home is 16 years old, with no visible signs of moisture issues. The basement is unfinished, except that the walls and ceiling have been painted white, and there is typical basement carpeting on the floor. Only one part of the basement smells, which is located underneath a dining room. There are no kitchen-like appliances in the vicinity, and both the sewer and sump pump are in different locations. (and do not smell). When our A/C is running, the smell lessens, which probably means that our circulation is working well.
There are some air ducts and water pipes that run through the trusses in the area. Also, the ground under the carpet is not even, as I can feel differences in cement level when I walk barefoot on the carpet.
The only thing I can think of is that there are animals digging under the foundation; but, that wouldn't explain a fish smell. Can anyone help brainstorm what could be causing such a smell, as I am clueless on where to turn?
Should I cover insulation in unfinished basement if ...
Strange smell coming from basement
Insulation unfinished basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees