We have a terrible fish-like smell in the basement of our house that is getting worse.
The home is 16 years old, with no visible signs of moisture issues. The basement is unfinished, except that the walls and ceiling have been painted white, and there is typical basement carpeting on the floor. Only one part of the basement smells, which is located underneath a dining room. There are no kitchen-like appliances in the vicinity, and both the sewer and sump pump are in different locations. (and do not smell). When our A/C is running, the smell lessens, which probably means that our circulation is working well.
There are some air ducts and water pipes that run through the trusses in the area. Also, the ground under the carpet is not even, as I can feel differences in cement level when I walk barefoot on the carpet.
The only thing I can think of is that there are animals digging under the foundation; but, that wouldn't explain a fish smell. Can anyone help brainstorm what could be causing such a smell, as I am clueless on where to turn?
Should I cover insulation in unfinished basement if ...
Strange smell coming from basement
Insulation unfinished basement
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight