We have a terrible fish-like smell in the basement of our house that is getting worse.
The home is 16 years old, with no visible signs of moisture issues. The basement is unfinished, except that the walls and ceiling have been painted white, and there is typical basement carpeting on the floor. Only one part of the basement smells, which is located underneath a dining room. There are no kitchen-like appliances in the vicinity, and both the sewer and sump pump are in different locations. (and do not smell). When our A/C is running, the smell lessens, which probably means that our circulation is working well.
There are some air ducts and water pipes that run through the trusses in the area. Also, the ground under the carpet is not even, as I can feel differences in cement level when I walk barefoot on the carpet.
The only thing I can think of is that there are animals digging under the foundation; but, that wouldn't explain a fish smell. Can anyone help brainstorm what could be causing such a smell, as I am clueless on where to turn?
Should I cover insulation in unfinished basement if ...
Strange smell coming from basement
Insulation unfinished basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Steps to Paradise in Your Own Backyard
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 15 Plants Perfect for Hanging Baskets
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Corral Kids' Clutter with 15 DIY Storage Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps