We have a terrible fish-like smell in the basement of our house that is getting worse.
The home is 16 years old, with no visible signs of moisture issues. The basement is unfinished, except that the walls and ceiling have been painted white, and there is typical basement carpeting on the floor. Only one part of the basement smells, which is located underneath a dining room. There are no kitchen-like appliances in the vicinity, and both the sewer and sump pump are in different locations. (and do not smell). When our A/C is running, the smell lessens, which probably means that our circulation is working well.
There are some air ducts and water pipes that run through the trusses in the area. Also, the ground under the carpet is not even, as I can feel differences in cement level when I walk barefoot on the carpet.
The only thing I can think of is that there are animals digging under the foundation; but, that wouldn't explain a fish smell. Can anyone help brainstorm what could be causing such a smell, as I am clueless on where to turn?
Should I cover insulation in unfinished basement if ...
Strange smell coming from basement
Insulation unfinished basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes