Insulation under crawl space
Use R-39 fiberglass batt insulation if you can. Put the Kraft-side UP, towards the 'heated' floor. NOT the other way around.
RE: How to keep it from falling down - There are a few ways. First, do your best to get it to 'fit' in the joist-bays evenly. Don't stuff too hard. Do you best to get the Kraft up to and touching the bottom of the sub-floor. THen, you can staple or tack up chicken wire. What I did, instead, was run nylon string in a zig-zag pattern and wrapping it around each nail as I went. I didn't use staples but, instead, I used roofing nails. The 1" ones. The pattern was about 12" apart from the preceeding wrap. You don't want any 'gaps' in the 'web' that are larger than that because the insulation may fall through.
You didn't mention anything about a crawspace or what. Is his home a mobile home? ANd where does he live? This would help w/my answer.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
If it's a basement, a dehumidifier might be worthwhile.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 26, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size