Insulation under crawl space
Use R-39 fiberglass batt insulation if you can. Put the Kraft-side UP, towards the 'heated' floor. NOT the other way around.
RE: How to keep it from falling down - There are a few ways. First, do your best to get it to 'fit' in the joist-bays evenly. Don't stuff too hard. Do you best to get the Kraft up to and touching the bottom of the sub-floor. THen, you can staple or tack up chicken wire. What I did, instead, was run nylon string in a zig-zag pattern and wrapping it around each nail as I went. I didn't use staples but, instead, I used roofing nails. The 1" ones. The pattern was about 12" apart from the preceeding wrap. You don't want any 'gaps' in the 'web' that are larger than that because the insulation may fall through.
You didn't mention anything about a crawspace or what. Is his home a mobile home? ANd where does he live? This would help w/my answer.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
If it's a basement, a dehumidifier might be worthwhile.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 26, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!