Insulation under crawl space
Use R-39 fiberglass batt insulation if you can. Put the Kraft-side UP, towards the 'heated' floor. NOT the other way around.
RE: How to keep it from falling down - There are a few ways. First, do your best to get it to 'fit' in the joist-bays evenly. Don't stuff too hard. Do you best to get the Kraft up to and touching the bottom of the sub-floor. THen, you can staple or tack up chicken wire. What I did, instead, was run nylon string in a zig-zag pattern and wrapping it around each nail as I went. I didn't use staples but, instead, I used roofing nails. The 1" ones. The pattern was about 12" apart from the preceeding wrap. You don't want any 'gaps' in the 'web' that are larger than that because the insulation may fall through.
You didn't mention anything about a crawspace or what. Is his home a mobile home? ANd where does he live? This would help w/my answer.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
If it's a basement, a dehumidifier might be worthwhile.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 26, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps