Which are better? My contractor tells me that those steel doors with attractive stain glass inserts will warp as much as the wood doors. And, in my older home, a wood door will be easier to install in my not necessarily square openings. Still, l like the security and R factor of a steel door. Which are better?
Kevin, we are in the process of building a new home and are choosing doors now. We have been told by several suppliers that the steel doors are best and are NOT subject to warping - and here in North Dakota with extreme temperatures, that is very important. If your casing is not square, it may be a problem to install steel and you may have to replace the casing also. You can purchase stainable steel doors (coated with vinyl) or check into fiberglass doors. Also, wood doors seem to be more expensive and will warp, especially without a storm door. Hope this helps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!