Vinyl Window Installation
Well, to give exact info, I'd have to be there. BUT, you need to create the 'rough out' for the new windows. You should have received Installation Instructions that tell you what the rough out is for your new windows. If you have small gaps of, say, 1/2" on EACH side (and/or top and bottom) of the window now when you set it in the existing rough out, you can just shim the window into place. You can buy shims at any Home Center. If, however, the gaps are larger, you'll want to install wood that will make the rough out more 'in line' with the Instructions. In EITHER case, BEFORE you 'close up' your installation, be sure to stuff some loose insulation in the gaps. The last thing you want is to have any air 'leaking' into the house.
Consider buying a book on how to install new and/or replacement windows. Spend some of the $$$ you're saving on a good book. It's money well spent!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't use just any wood to create the rough out. You want a wood that's fairly 'stable' meaning it won't expand or contract too much. If it does, your window may not open or close because of that.
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!