Vinyl Window Installation
Well, to give exact info, I'd have to be there. BUT, you need to create the 'rough out' for the new windows. You should have received Installation Instructions that tell you what the rough out is for your new windows. If you have small gaps of, say, 1/2" on EACH side (and/or top and bottom) of the window now when you set it in the existing rough out, you can just shim the window into place. You can buy shims at any Home Center. If, however, the gaps are larger, you'll want to install wood that will make the rough out more 'in line' with the Instructions. In EITHER case, BEFORE you 'close up' your installation, be sure to stuff some loose insulation in the gaps. The last thing you want is to have any air 'leaking' into the house.
Consider buying a book on how to install new and/or replacement windows. Spend some of the $$$ you're saving on a good book. It's money well spent!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't use just any wood to create the rough out. You want a wood that's fairly 'stable' meaning it won't expand or contract too much. If it does, your window may not open or close because of that.
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps