Vinyl Window Installation
Well, to give exact info, I'd have to be there. BUT, you need to create the 'rough out' for the new windows. You should have received Installation Instructions that tell you what the rough out is for your new windows. If you have small gaps of, say, 1/2" on EACH side (and/or top and bottom) of the window now when you set it in the existing rough out, you can just shim the window into place. You can buy shims at any Home Center. If, however, the gaps are larger, you'll want to install wood that will make the rough out more 'in line' with the Instructions. In EITHER case, BEFORE you 'close up' your installation, be sure to stuff some loose insulation in the gaps. The last thing you want is to have any air 'leaking' into the house.
Consider buying a book on how to install new and/or replacement windows. Spend some of the $$$ you're saving on a good book. It's money well spent!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't use just any wood to create the rough out. You want a wood that's fairly 'stable' meaning it won't expand or contract too much. If it does, your window may not open or close because of that.
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs