Vinyl Window Installation
Well, to give exact info, I'd have to be there. BUT, you need to create the 'rough out' for the new windows. You should have received Installation Instructions that tell you what the rough out is for your new windows. If you have small gaps of, say, 1/2" on EACH side (and/or top and bottom) of the window now when you set it in the existing rough out, you can just shim the window into place. You can buy shims at any Home Center. If, however, the gaps are larger, you'll want to install wood that will make the rough out more 'in line' with the Instructions. In EITHER case, BEFORE you 'close up' your installation, be sure to stuff some loose insulation in the gaps. The last thing you want is to have any air 'leaking' into the house.
Consider buying a book on how to install new and/or replacement windows. Spend some of the $$$ you're saving on a good book. It's money well spent!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't use just any wood to create the rough out. You want a wood that's fairly 'stable' meaning it won't expand or contract too much. If it does, your window may not open or close because of that.
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!