Vinyl Window Installation
Well, to give exact info, I'd have to be there. BUT, you need to create the 'rough out' for the new windows. You should have received Installation Instructions that tell you what the rough out is for your new windows. If you have small gaps of, say, 1/2" on EACH side (and/or top and bottom) of the window now when you set it in the existing rough out, you can just shim the window into place. You can buy shims at any Home Center. If, however, the gaps are larger, you'll want to install wood that will make the rough out more 'in line' with the Instructions. In EITHER case, BEFORE you 'close up' your installation, be sure to stuff some loose insulation in the gaps. The last thing you want is to have any air 'leaking' into the house.
Consider buying a book on how to install new and/or replacement windows. Spend some of the $$$ you're saving on a good book. It's money well spent!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't use just any wood to create the rough out. You want a wood that's fairly 'stable' meaning it won't expand or contract too much. If it does, your window may not open or close because of that.
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs