Had a certain unmentionable named store mix us some exterior paint samples. We had them make us a few gallons of exterior paint and primer and one. When we ran out of those first 3 gallons we had them make us a lot more. Now that we are almost done painting the house down to the last gallon I notice the outside Of the paint can says interior paint!!!!!!!! Which means we painted 90% of the outside of our house with interior paint because of their mistake and me not noticing it. It is latex water-based paint, Painted on the wood and stucco. We live in sunny Southern California.
Now what do we do?
The chemical difference between interior and exterior latex paints is minimal, and the primary variant is the amount of pigment with exterior having a lot more. For the stucco portions of your house, latex paint is the appropriate choice and the greatest detriment your accidental paint formula will experience is fading color. If you decide to paint it again in the future, never use oil based paint on top of latex. It will flake off because latex breathes and oil does not. For the exterior wood, since it expands and contracts readily, the paint may peel off sooner than you'd like, in which case, it will come off easily and the surface can be repainted. Again, the more likely result will be the color quickly fading.
I believe you have it wrong. You can't paint latex over oil, the latex will start peeling if bumped.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes