Had a certain unmentionable named store mix us some exterior paint samples. We had them make us a few gallons of exterior paint and primer and one. When we ran out of those first 3 gallons we had them make us a lot more. Now that we are almost done painting the house down to the last gallon I notice the outside Of the paint can says interior paint!!!!!!!! Which means we painted 90% of the outside of our house with interior paint because of their mistake and me not noticing it. It is latex water-based paint, Painted on the wood and stucco. We live in sunny Southern California.
Now what do we do?
The chemical difference between interior and exterior latex paints is minimal, and the primary variant is the amount of pigment with exterior having a lot more. For the stucco portions of your house, latex paint is the appropriate choice and the greatest detriment your accidental paint formula will experience is fading color. If you decide to paint it again in the future, never use oil based paint on top of latex. It will flake off because latex breathes and oil does not. For the exterior wood, since it expands and contracts readily, the paint may peel off sooner than you'd like, in which case, it will come off easily and the surface can be repainted. Again, the more likely result will be the color quickly fading.
I believe you have it wrong. You can't paint latex over oil, the latex will start peeling if bumped.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!