Had a certain unmentionable named store mix us some exterior paint samples. We had them make us a few gallons of exterior paint and primer and one. When we ran out of those first 3 gallons we had them make us a lot more. Now that we are almost done painting the house down to the last gallon I notice the outside Of the paint can says interior paint!!!!!!!! Which means we painted 90% of the outside of our house with interior paint because of their mistake and me not noticing it. It is latex water-based paint, Painted on the wood and stucco. We live in sunny Southern California.
Now what do we do?
The chemical difference between interior and exterior latex paints is minimal, and the primary variant is the amount of pigment with exterior having a lot more. For the stucco portions of your house, latex paint is the appropriate choice and the greatest detriment your accidental paint formula will experience is fading color. If you decide to paint it again in the future, never use oil based paint on top of latex. It will flake off because latex breathes and oil does not. For the exterior wood, since it expands and contracts readily, the paint may peel off sooner than you'd like, in which case, it will come off easily and the surface can be repainted. Again, the more likely result will be the color quickly fading.
I believe you have it wrong. You can't paint latex over oil, the latex will start peeling if bumped.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love