I have a new townhouse in Irving TX and I have hard water. I am planning to install a water softener and would love some advice. The Culligan quote is $3100 for equipment and installation with lifetime warranty. There are only two of us in the house, is there a less expensive option that works equally well? And how long could I expect a system like Kenmore or another that does not have a lifetime warranty to last?
The price seems to be somewhat on the high side but you may have selected a more expensive model. I have had a Culligan Mark 89 water softener in my house for 13 years with only very minor issues. I looked into replacing it a couple of years with a newer model (Medalist Series) and the estimate was $2000. It may been that low because I would have been a repeat customer and the plumbing is already in place. Regardless, if your water is hard, I recommend you have a water softener. Soft water is far better for showering and will preserve the working of the dishwasher, washing machine and faucets. Hard water mineral deposits are very destructive. Some higher end dishwashers have built in softeners but I don't know if you have that. You should ring out who makes a Sears Kenmore water softener if that is significantly less. But overall, I am happy with the Culligan and will put one in my town home that we are now building.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes