I have a new townhouse in Irving TX and I have hard water. I am planning to install a water softener and would love some advice. The Culligan quote is $3100 for equipment and installation with lifetime warranty. There are only two of us in the house, is there a less expensive option that works equally well? And how long could I expect a system like Kenmore or another that does not have a lifetime warranty to last?
The price seems to be somewhat on the high side but you may have selected a more expensive model. I have had a Culligan Mark 89 water softener in my house for 13 years with only very minor issues. I looked into replacing it a couple of years with a newer model (Medalist Series) and the estimate was $2000. It may been that low because I would have been a repeat customer and the plumbing is already in place. Regardless, if your water is hard, I recommend you have a water softener. Soft water is far better for showering and will preserve the working of the dishwasher, washing machine and faucets. Hard water mineral deposits are very destructive. Some higher end dishwashers have built in softeners but I don't know if you have that. You should ring out who makes a Sears Kenmore water softener if that is significantly less. But overall, I am happy with the Culligan and will put one in my town home that we are now building.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight