My question pertains to the installation of exterior solid wood, pre-hung French Doors and possible alterations.
I purchsed two sets of Simpson # 7010 24" (each door) pre-hung, out-swing French Doors. After removing the doors for finishing, I realized that the out-swing doors I ordered were nothing more than in-swing doors with the brick mold attached to the interior side of the jamb. The threshold plate is installed as though it is an in-swing door, ie. the larger, sloping portion with ridges ends up on the inside and the short blunt portion is on the outside.
Another concern is the low quality of the hinges that came installed on the doors and jambs. I have contacted Simpson about this and they said they don't install any hardware and that its all done at the customer's local distributor. It seems as though no one wants to do anything about this and so I'm beginning to think I should just take it upon myself to correct them.
(1) Should I atempt to return these doors or is it possible to make corrections?
(2) Should I reverse the threshold plate if possible?
(3) Should I replace the hinges with better quality?
I paid over $3,000.00 for these doors but am not a professional in the trade so I haven't pushed the issue locally.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love