My question pertains to the installation of exterior solid wood, pre-hung French Doors and possible alterations.
I purchsed two sets of Simpson # 7010 24" (each door) pre-hung, out-swing French Doors. After removing the doors for finishing, I realized that the out-swing doors I ordered were nothing more than in-swing doors with the brick mold attached to the interior side of the jamb. The threshold plate is installed as though it is an in-swing door, ie. the larger, sloping portion with ridges ends up on the inside and the short blunt portion is on the outside.
Another concern is the low quality of the hinges that came installed on the doors and jambs. I have contacted Simpson about this and they said they don't install any hardware and that its all done at the customer's local distributor. It seems as though no one wants to do anything about this and so I'm beginning to think I should just take it upon myself to correct them.
(1) Should I atempt to return these doors or is it possible to make corrections?
(2) Should I reverse the threshold plate if possible?
(3) Should I replace the hinges with better quality?
I paid over $3,000.00 for these doors but am not a professional in the trade so I haven't pushed the issue locally.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs