My question pertains to the installation of exterior solid wood, pre-hung French Doors and possible alterations.
I purchsed two sets of Simpson # 7010 24" (each door) pre-hung, out-swing French Doors. After removing the doors for finishing, I realized that the out-swing doors I ordered were nothing more than in-swing doors with the brick mold attached to the interior side of the jamb. The threshold plate is installed as though it is an in-swing door, ie. the larger, sloping portion with ridges ends up on the inside and the short blunt portion is on the outside.
Another concern is the low quality of the hinges that came installed on the doors and jambs. I have contacted Simpson about this and they said they don't install any hardware and that its all done at the customer's local distributor. It seems as though no one wants to do anything about this and so I'm beginning to think I should just take it upon myself to correct them.
(1) Should I atempt to return these doors or is it possible to make corrections?
(2) Should I reverse the threshold plate if possible?
(3) Should I replace the hinges with better quality?
I paid over $3,000.00 for these doors but am not a professional in the trade so I haven't pushed the issue locally.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps