My question pertains to the installation of exterior solid wood, pre-hung French Doors and possible alterations.
I purchsed two sets of Simpson # 7010 24" (each door) pre-hung, out-swing French Doors. After removing the doors for finishing, I realized that the out-swing doors I ordered were nothing more than in-swing doors with the brick mold attached to the interior side of the jamb. The threshold plate is installed as though it is an in-swing door, ie. the larger, sloping portion with ridges ends up on the inside and the short blunt portion is on the outside.
Another concern is the low quality of the hinges that came installed on the doors and jambs. I have contacted Simpson about this and they said they don't install any hardware and that its all done at the customer's local distributor. It seems as though no one wants to do anything about this and so I'm beginning to think I should just take it upon myself to correct them.
(1) Should I atempt to return these doors or is it possible to make corrections?
(2) Should I reverse the threshold plate if possible?
(3) Should I replace the hinges with better quality?
I paid over $3,000.00 for these doors but am not a professional in the trade so I haven't pushed the issue locally.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight