Since we have finished our home about three years ago, we have noticed a black discoloring forming on the walls on the interior. The black discoloring is almost soot-like and is prominant where the trusses and wall studs meet. I do not notice it except at that juncture or following the wall studs. There are places in my garage where I can see where every wall stud is. These walls also show nail heads as dark blackish circles. Any ideas what this is?
I ran up on something like this a few years ago and it was mildew on all the areas of joint compound. To test if it is mildew, just apply some bleach to one of the dark spots and if goes away it is mildew. I fit is mildew you will need to wash all walls with a 25 percent bleach and 75 percent water solution to kill the mildew . Once this is done you will need to prime the walls with Zinsser BIN primer and finish with the topcoat of your choice. This primer does not get rid of the mildew but is good insurance in helping to keepit from coming back.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes