Since we have finished our home about three years ago, we have noticed a black discoloring forming on the walls on the interior. The black discoloring is almost soot-like and is prominant where the trusses and wall studs meet. I do not notice it except at that juncture or following the wall studs. There are places in my garage where I can see where every wall stud is. These walls also show nail heads as dark blackish circles. Any ideas what this is?
I ran up on something like this a few years ago and it was mildew on all the areas of joint compound. To test if it is mildew, just apply some bleach to one of the dark spots and if goes away it is mildew. I fit is mildew you will need to wash all walls with a 25 percent bleach and 75 percent water solution to kill the mildew . Once this is done you will need to prime the walls with Zinsser BIN primer and finish with the topcoat of your choice. This primer does not get rid of the mildew but is good insurance in helping to keepit from coming back.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!