Since we have finished our home about three years ago, we have noticed a black discoloring forming on the walls on the interior. The black discoloring is almost soot-like and is prominant where the trusses and wall studs meet. I do not notice it except at that juncture or following the wall studs. There are places in my garage where I can see where every wall stud is. These walls also show nail heads as dark blackish circles. Any ideas what this is?
I ran up on something like this a few years ago and it was mildew on all the areas of joint compound. To test if it is mildew, just apply some bleach to one of the dark spots and if goes away it is mildew. I fit is mildew you will need to wash all walls with a 25 percent bleach and 75 percent water solution to kill the mildew . Once this is done you will need to prime the walls with Zinsser BIN primer and finish with the topcoat of your choice. This primer does not get rid of the mildew but is good insurance in helping to keepit from coming back.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!