I'm looking for some opinions on a concrete foundations vs crawl space foundations. It seems all the builders around here use a slab for the foundation; but I like crawl space foundations.
I don't know about quality, but for space saving reasons, the crawl space wins. My crawl space contains several things that would otherwise have to be inside the house: the water heater, air handler (for heat pump) plumbing and filter (for well water), etc.
Slabs are cheaper than crawl spaces for a reason. Imagine a broken water or sewer line under a slab. Only recourse is jackhammer. I would never buy on a slab unless it was new and temporary such as a flip. At least with a crawl you can access water lines, sewer lines, and if large even have storage. Also slabs are hard on the body. They get cold in winter and if you have arthritis you WILL notice a difference. In my expert opinion crawls rule.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!