I'm looking for some opinions on a concrete foundations vs crawl space foundations. It seems all the builders around here use a slab for the foundation; but I like crawl space foundations.
I don't know about quality, but for space saving reasons, the crawl space wins. My crawl space contains several things that would otherwise have to be inside the house: the water heater, air handler (for heat pump) plumbing and filter (for well water), etc.
Slabs are cheaper than crawl spaces for a reason. Imagine a broken water or sewer line under a slab. Only recourse is jackhammer. I would never buy on a slab unless it was new and temporary such as a flip. At least with a crawl you can access water lines, sewer lines, and if large even have storage. Also slabs are hard on the body. They get cold in winter and if you have arthritis you WILL notice a difference. In my expert opinion crawls rule.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers