New home settling concerns...
I know that new homes "settle" but it's only been 3 months... How much cracking, separation, etc. is normal for a new house and over what period of time should it be expected?
Hairline cracks in concrete are often shrinkage cracks and not a concern from a structural viewpoint. If no reinforcing was used in the concrete and/or insufficiernt ground prep was performed before pouring, it could get worse and need attemntion but nine time out of ten, it is nothing to worry about.
The wood showing gaps inside is less likely from 'settleing' that it is from the wood framing members drying and shrinking. Frame lumber is kiln dried to 19% surface moisture but may get rained on during construction. Paint and SR mud add a lot of moisture to a house during construction too. Then comes the dry winter months and the wood shrinks up. some modest gaps appear.
Only if it keeps getting worse, should you be concerned and pursue it. A little caulk and paint will fix it up once it stops shrinking, usually after one thermal cycle
You wouldn't buy a car that had poorly fitting doors and windows or unbalanced tires without the dealer fixing them first. Neither should you purchase a new house showing signs of needing touchup. Make it a condition of sale that he will take care of your concerns in a way that satisfys you. Hiring an experienced home inspector might help. It is iomportant to find an experienced one tho. Two week schools crank out diploms for this unregulated field for anyone who sits in on the classes so you don't want someone who just finished the training.
wallpaper in a new home
should cement slab for new home crack?
Suggestion When Building New Home
Cracked Basement wall on a new home that is currentl...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!