home depot deck program
I had to pass this on because you can't seem to trust anyone these days to give you honest service - and it seems that Home Depot is no different. So if you are building a deck - do your own calculations.
Thanks for the warning. The only time I could see using longer stock would be in cases where you would use the scrap for such things as solid bridging or nailers in obscure areas. In cases such as these though the scrap is actually figured for these jobs. It doesn't sound quite like that here......Mark Hammond
Also, don't forget- lumber is a commodity item sold per thousand board feet on the wholesale level. Each individual length of a dimension can trade at completely different levels, so while there may be more waste on your end, that 12 footer might actually be cheaper for the Depot to buy than a 10 footer. Food for thought.
We did end up buying all our lumber there (our choises were limited), but with our own calculations and with what they had in stock. The price we paid was much cheaper (for the part quoted), we had alot less waste, and we had plenty of material left over for blocking. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would never have used 1 x 6 for blocking (left over deck boards). That's the major portion of the over estimating and over cost.
Again, thanks for the other viewpoints.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight