home depot deck program
I had to pass this on because you can't seem to trust anyone these days to give you honest service - and it seems that Home Depot is no different. So if you are building a deck - do your own calculations.
Thanks for the warning. The only time I could see using longer stock would be in cases where you would use the scrap for such things as solid bridging or nailers in obscure areas. In cases such as these though the scrap is actually figured for these jobs. It doesn't sound quite like that here......Mark Hammond
Also, don't forget- lumber is a commodity item sold per thousand board feet on the wholesale level. Each individual length of a dimension can trade at completely different levels, so while there may be more waste on your end, that 12 footer might actually be cheaper for the Depot to buy than a 10 footer. Food for thought.
We did end up buying all our lumber there (our choises were limited), but with our own calculations and with what they had in stock. The price we paid was much cheaper (for the part quoted), we had alot less waste, and we had plenty of material left over for blocking. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would never have used 1 x 6 for blocking (left over deck boards). That's the major portion of the over estimating and over cost.
Again, thanks for the other viewpoints.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?