home depot deck program
I had to pass this on because you can't seem to trust anyone these days to give you honest service - and it seems that Home Depot is no different. So if you are building a deck - do your own calculations.
Thanks for the warning. The only time I could see using longer stock would be in cases where you would use the scrap for such things as solid bridging or nailers in obscure areas. In cases such as these though the scrap is actually figured for these jobs. It doesn't sound quite like that here......Mark Hammond
Also, don't forget- lumber is a commodity item sold per thousand board feet on the wholesale level. Each individual length of a dimension can trade at completely different levels, so while there may be more waste on your end, that 12 footer might actually be cheaper for the Depot to buy than a 10 footer. Food for thought.
We did end up buying all our lumber there (our choises were limited), but with our own calculations and with what they had in stock. The price we paid was much cheaper (for the part quoted), we had alot less waste, and we had plenty of material left over for blocking. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would never have used 1 x 6 for blocking (left over deck boards). That's the major portion of the over estimating and over cost.
Again, thanks for the other viewpoints.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers