home depot deck program
I had to pass this on because you can't seem to trust anyone these days to give you honest service - and it seems that Home Depot is no different. So if you are building a deck - do your own calculations.
Thanks for the warning. The only time I could see using longer stock would be in cases where you would use the scrap for such things as solid bridging or nailers in obscure areas. In cases such as these though the scrap is actually figured for these jobs. It doesn't sound quite like that here......Mark Hammond
Also, don't forget- lumber is a commodity item sold per thousand board feet on the wholesale level. Each individual length of a dimension can trade at completely different levels, so while there may be more waste on your end, that 12 footer might actually be cheaper for the Depot to buy than a 10 footer. Food for thought.
We did end up buying all our lumber there (our choises were limited), but with our own calculations and with what they had in stock. The price we paid was much cheaper (for the part quoted), we had alot less waste, and we had plenty of material left over for blocking. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would never have used 1 x 6 for blocking (left over deck boards). That's the major portion of the over estimating and over cost.
Again, thanks for the other viewpoints.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!