I have recently built a hood for a 55 gal Show aquarium. My crafting skills are good but I missed something on this project. The frame work is not suffering from this issue, My problem lies in the hinged lid. My lid is a piece of oak measuring 11"x51". The lid is warping on both lengths. I used expensive 1"x12"x60" oak. I stained and sealed with Minwax Poly Seal. About six coats on both sides. I have tried weighting the lid corners with 20pound weights to no avail. I feel like my only course would be to rip the length and hinge the 11" piece. That lid is already hinged to a 4" width to cover the entire width of 15". I think it would be tacky looking. If I remake the top I may experience the same issue.
It sounds like there is too much humidity, even with all the coats of sealer, for a solid piece of wood. I would try laminating the top by ripping the oak and glueing the strips back together. Alternate the strips as you glue them so the the grain "fights" itself and stays flat longer. Good luck.....Mark Hammond
I have many aquariums myself and have built stands for all of them including a 135 gal marine tank. The best thing I have found is to keep the lid high enough that water will not splash it, don’t seal the inside of the lid, and install a small fan in the hood to maintain a little air flow inside the hood. This keeps both heat and moisture from being trapped which when combined will cause the warping.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes