I have recently built a hood for a 55 gal Show aquarium. My crafting skills are good but I missed something on this project. The frame work is not suffering from this issue, My problem lies in the hinged lid. My lid is a piece of oak measuring 11"x51". The lid is warping on both lengths. I used expensive 1"x12"x60" oak. I stained and sealed with Minwax Poly Seal. About six coats on both sides. I have tried weighting the lid corners with 20pound weights to no avail. I feel like my only course would be to rip the length and hinge the 11" piece. That lid is already hinged to a 4" width to cover the entire width of 15". I think it would be tacky looking. If I remake the top I may experience the same issue.
It sounds like there is too much humidity, even with all the coats of sealer, for a solid piece of wood. I would try laminating the top by ripping the oak and glueing the strips back together. Alternate the strips as you glue them so the the grain "fights" itself and stays flat longer. Good luck.....Mark Hammond
I have many aquariums myself and have built stands for all of them including a 135 gal marine tank. The best thing I have found is to keep the lid high enough that water will not splash it, don’t seal the inside of the lid, and install a small fan in the hood to maintain a little air flow inside the hood. This keeps both heat and moisture from being trapped which when combined will cause the warping.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!