I have recently built a hood for a 55 gal Show aquarium. My crafting skills are good but I missed something on this project. The frame work is not suffering from this issue, My problem lies in the hinged lid. My lid is a piece of oak measuring 11"x51". The lid is warping on both lengths. I used expensive 1"x12"x60" oak. I stained and sealed with Minwax Poly Seal. About six coats on both sides. I have tried weighting the lid corners with 20pound weights to no avail. I feel like my only course would be to rip the length and hinge the 11" piece. That lid is already hinged to a 4" width to cover the entire width of 15". I think it would be tacky looking. If I remake the top I may experience the same issue.
It sounds like there is too much humidity, even with all the coats of sealer, for a solid piece of wood. I would try laminating the top by ripping the oak and glueing the strips back together. Alternate the strips as you glue them so the the grain "fights" itself and stays flat longer. Good luck.....Mark Hammond
I have many aquariums myself and have built stands for all of them including a 135 gal marine tank. The best thing I have found is to keep the lid high enough that water will not splash it, don’t seal the inside of the lid, and install a small fan in the hood to maintain a little air flow inside the hood. This keeps both heat and moisture from being trapped which when combined will cause the warping.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!