Hoping someone can help me with my persistant problem with flickering lights.
To start, I live in a 2nd floor condo with 12 units. I've had recurring electrical problems (2 years) with flickering lights, bulbs getting extremely bright, appliances loosing power. Problem would come and go but bearable.
In one room which I used a desktop computer, scanner, external hard drives, laptops with a battery back up surge protector would give off 1" sparks from all outlets, even the ones outside of this room. It blew 3 external hard drives. I talked to a few electricians and had one come by. None were helpful and gave me no reason to want to spend what might have been endless amounts of money to correct this. This stopped after the winter 2 years ago so I let this go. It's starting again but sparks are smaller.
Within the last two weeks my flickering lights began to recur even worse. I usually get microflickering but ignored it thinking maybe I was imagining it.
I checked with one of 12 of my neighbors and they are not having any problems.
I've had the power utility company come out at least 2 times recently and they said nothing was wrong and that I should call an electrician.
I had one electrician troubleshoot. He tightened the wires in my circuit breaker and checked the readings. Okay.
Two days later, I had another electrian come in (yesterday) and he replaced the main circuit breaker outside of my condo in the main panel. He said it was alittle rusty.
But this morning I had the dryer on, and all of my lights on in my master bedroom and bathroom and the lights began to flicker. I'll also mention that it is snowing outside and the furnace was on. Very cold today.
I don't know if this is relevant but when it gets extremely cold, flicker is out of control!
I've noticed once when the dryer was running, the light bulb in that room was flickering. When I turned it off, it stopped. So I turned it on and it started again. At the same time I had the microwave running. Then the microwave slowed down and struggled to start up again. This went on for minutes. Then I could hear my refrigerator power down and back up again like my microwave oven. At this time all my lights would power down and up again like a wave.
Yesterday, when the power company technician unlocked the panel so the electrician could access my circuit breaker, everything went nuts as I'ved described before, only worse.
I am extremely nervouse of this being a fire hazzard that I read about. Problems like this can occur over days and even years and start a fire.
Does anyone have any suggestions are ideas of what could be happening? I am low on money and I have spent almost $1,000 and they barely did anything.