Mitre Saw and Table Saw - Best Bets
Do yourself a favor and bypass any cheap table saws. I made that mistake once and quickly found myself wanting more. I'd returned it within a couple days for a better one. It didn't have anywhere near enough power and was totally unpleasurable to use. A decent rip fence alone (for a table saw) can cost upwards of $200.
I think you'll do OK with a fairly inexpensive "chop" (miter) saw, but table saws are another story. Since you're new to the power tool game, take your time and learn how to use one. There are an incredible number of tricks and techniques--not to mention safety concerns. I'd recommend a class. Check out a table saw book out of your local library. You'll see what I mean; there is a lot you can learn. In the meantime, don't waste your money.
Good luck; let us know what you get
My ten year old $450 Craftsman Contractor table was barely suitable new, much better now that I added a better fence system.
I agree with the previous comments for your miter saw I would recommend the Delta 36-255L 12" (aprox. 125$). I would recommend a 12" vs. 10" especially if you cut anything wider then 5"1/4. Otherwise the Dewalt DW703 10" saw is pretty nice (aprox. 190$).
As for the table saw the Bosch 4000-07 would be a nice addition (aprox 425$)incuding a nice folding stand for versatility.
Hope this helps,
[This message has been edited by NickG (edited August 24, 2003).]
Learning my new mitre saw
Table saw vs. Mitre saw
What's best mitre saw for <$250?
Manual for Tool Shop 10: sliding compound mitre saw ...
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING