Quarter Round: How to cut at unusual angles
If you do, the simplest way to measure the angles is to buy a bevel square.
A bevel square has an wing nut which allows the blade to move.
To use it, you loosen the wing nut, place the square against the corner you wish to measure, tighten the nut, then determine the overall angle in degrees by placing the square on your mitre saw table.
If, for example, you determine you have a 50 degree inside corner, you will then know you need to cut the two pieces of molding with 25 deg angles (25 +25 = 50). If you have a 37 degree angle, you will make two mitre cuts at 18.5 degrees and so on.
A bevel square sells in the US for about $5.
[This message has been edited by homebild (edited February 02, 2003).]
When I'm not certain how to make a corner cut, I place the "matching" two pieces of quarter round where they will be, and draw a pencil mark on each to show me how I need to cut using the mitre box and saw.
The pencil mark won't necessarily be at the precise angle or position of the cut - it just gives me a guide as to what cut to make, at what angle. (The mitre saw makes the angle right.)
Hope this helps you.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 03, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps