Quarter Round: How to cut at unusual angles
If you do, the simplest way to measure the angles is to buy a bevel square.
A bevel square has an wing nut which allows the blade to move.
To use it, you loosen the wing nut, place the square against the corner you wish to measure, tighten the nut, then determine the overall angle in degrees by placing the square on your mitre saw table.
If, for example, you determine you have a 50 degree inside corner, you will then know you need to cut the two pieces of molding with 25 deg angles (25 +25 = 50). If you have a 37 degree angle, you will make two mitre cuts at 18.5 degrees and so on.
A bevel square sells in the US for about $5.
[This message has been edited by homebild (edited February 02, 2003).]
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
When I'm not certain how to make a corner cut, I place the "matching" two pieces of quarter round where they will be, and draw a pencil mark on each to show me how I need to cut using the mitre box and saw.
The pencil mark won't necessarily be at the precise angle or position of the cut - it just gives me a guide as to what cut to make, at what angle. (The mitre saw makes the angle right.)
Hope this helps you.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 03, 2003).]
I attach some photos of my problem with installing quarter round on a staircase corner to cmplete the skirting
Picture 1 (IMG_3556.JPG) shows the skirting board without the 1/4 round
The problem is that the stair is at 45 degrees to the wall
At the bottom of the picture you can see the 1/4 round coming in from the right
Picture 2 (IMG_3557.JPG)shows the stair and picture 3(IMG_3558.JPG)the right hand corner closer up
I hope that you can follow what I am trying to show
It's not a quetion of finding the correct angle on the mitre box it's more complex!
I see that I can only send one picture at a time
So 3557 and 3558 will be sent separately
The immage numbers will be in the subject
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects