Quarter Round: How to cut at unusual angles
If you do, the simplest way to measure the angles is to buy a bevel square.
A bevel square has an wing nut which allows the blade to move.
To use it, you loosen the wing nut, place the square against the corner you wish to measure, tighten the nut, then determine the overall angle in degrees by placing the square on your mitre saw table.
If, for example, you determine you have a 50 degree inside corner, you will then know you need to cut the two pieces of molding with 25 deg angles (25 +25 = 50). If you have a 37 degree angle, you will make two mitre cuts at 18.5 degrees and so on.
A bevel square sells in the US for about $5.
[This message has been edited by homebild (edited February 02, 2003).]
When I'm not certain how to make a corner cut, I place the "matching" two pieces of quarter round where they will be, and draw a pencil mark on each to show me how I need to cut using the mitre box and saw.
The pencil mark won't necessarily be at the precise angle or position of the cut - it just gives me a guide as to what cut to make, at what angle. (The mitre saw makes the angle right.)
Hope this helps you.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 03, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs