Quarter Round: How to cut at unusual angles
If you do, the simplest way to measure the angles is to buy a bevel square.
A bevel square has an wing nut which allows the blade to move.
To use it, you loosen the wing nut, place the square against the corner you wish to measure, tighten the nut, then determine the overall angle in degrees by placing the square on your mitre saw table.
If, for example, you determine you have a 50 degree inside corner, you will then know you need to cut the two pieces of molding with 25 deg angles (25 +25 = 50). If you have a 37 degree angle, you will make two mitre cuts at 18.5 degrees and so on.
A bevel square sells in the US for about $5.
[This message has been edited by homebild (edited February 02, 2003).]
When I'm not certain how to make a corner cut, I place the "matching" two pieces of quarter round where they will be, and draw a pencil mark on each to show me how I need to cut using the mitre box and saw.
The pencil mark won't necessarily be at the precise angle or position of the cut - it just gives me a guide as to what cut to make, at what angle. (The mitre saw makes the angle right.)
Hope this helps you.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 03, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them