what is the quickest way to remove wallpaper border?
The border was put up about 6 years ago and the adhesive was already on it, just needed to be wet and stuck to the wall... Now, taking it down it's turning to be a major PITB!! I've been soaking it section by section with a wet sponge and peeling what will come off in strips. Glue is left behind and I've had to scrape it. The room is only 1/2 way done. There's GOT to be a quicker way! HELP!!!
Hi! My best way of removing wallpaper is with an interior plant sprayer filled with warm water mixed with a little bit of dish detergent (I use a ratio of 1 part detergent for 20 parts of water). First, remove the decorative layer (what the motif is printed on). It should peel right off the wall, and you'll be left with only the beige paper. If it doesn't peel off, you can buy at home centers a device that you roll on the wallpaper and it perforates the first layer to allow the water to penetrate the paper. Then, spray the entire surface with the plant sprayer. Don't be afraid to soak it wet, until it starts to drip. Wait 5-10 minutes, and repeat the process. Wait another 5 minutes, and the paper should peel off very easily with a 6" putty knife. If it doesn't do the job, you can rent a steamer meant to remove wallpaper. You fill it with water, let it heat, and you apply the wand to the wall for a couple of seconds, and the wallpaper scrapes off like magic. Good luck with your project!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes