what is the quickest way to remove wallpaper border?
The border was put up about 6 years ago and the adhesive was already on it, just needed to be wet and stuck to the wall... Now, taking it down it's turning to be a major PITB!! I've been soaking it section by section with a wet sponge and peeling what will come off in strips. Glue is left behind and I've had to scrape it. The room is only 1/2 way done. There's GOT to be a quicker way! HELP!!!
Hi! My best way of removing wallpaper is with an interior plant sprayer filled with warm water mixed with a little bit of dish detergent (I use a ratio of 1 part detergent for 20 parts of water). First, remove the decorative layer (what the motif is printed on). It should peel right off the wall, and you'll be left with only the beige paper. If it doesn't peel off, you can buy at home centers a device that you roll on the wallpaper and it perforates the first layer to allow the water to penetrate the paper. Then, spray the entire surface with the plant sprayer. Don't be afraid to soak it wet, until it starts to drip. Wait 5-10 minutes, and repeat the process. Wait another 5 minutes, and the paper should peel off very easily with a 6" putty knife. If it doesn't do the job, you can rent a steamer meant to remove wallpaper. You fill it with water, let it heat, and you apply the wand to the wall for a couple of seconds, and the wallpaper scrapes off like magic. Good luck with your project!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects