what is the quickest way to remove wallpaper border?
The border was put up about 6 years ago and the adhesive was already on it, just needed to be wet and stuck to the wall... Now, taking it down it's turning to be a major PITB!! I've been soaking it section by section with a wet sponge and peeling what will come off in strips. Glue is left behind and I've had to scrape it. The room is only 1/2 way done. There's GOT to be a quicker way! HELP!!!
Hi! My best way of removing wallpaper is with an interior plant sprayer filled with warm water mixed with a little bit of dish detergent (I use a ratio of 1 part detergent for 20 parts of water). First, remove the decorative layer (what the motif is printed on). It should peel right off the wall, and you'll be left with only the beige paper. If it doesn't peel off, you can buy at home centers a device that you roll on the wallpaper and it perforates the first layer to allow the water to penetrate the paper. Then, spray the entire surface with the plant sprayer. Don't be afraid to soak it wet, until it starts to drip. Wait 5-10 minutes, and repeat the process. Wait another 5 minutes, and the paper should peel off very easily with a 6" putty knife. If it doesn't do the job, you can rent a steamer meant to remove wallpaper. You fill it with water, let it heat, and you apply the wand to the wall for a couple of seconds, and the wallpaper scrapes off like magic. Good luck with your project!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!