framing a garage
Generally a 30 inch door requires a 32 inch opening.
They also just use 2x12 headers because a 2x12 is the correct spacing for the header above the door. You could use a 2x8 header but then you have to measure where it goes.
For the garage door, just measure it out while building the wall.
normal for swing doors is 2-1/2" over nominal width and height.
Frame the garage door at the nominal size of 9x7. Use 2x4 with a double jack under each end of the header. Header size depends on what it is supporting. Your roof might not bear on this wall the garage door is in, but if it does, the generall rule of thumb for opennings is to use a double 2x6 for up to six foot openning, 2x8 for 8', 2x10 for ten foot, etc.
So if you are using an eight foot tall wall, a doubled 2x10 will be just right after you alow three inches for the double top plate and have a 9.25" 2x10. That leaves an openning of 6'11.75" before trimming out the door.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love