We recently installed a bathroom in the basement of our house. There is a sewer smell coming from the bath tub drain. I did not do the installation, nor was I home when it was completed. What I can tell you is, when I pour some water down the drain the smell does go away for a while, but it always comes back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Was the job 'inspected'.........Drains need vents that take the sewer gasses thru the roof ...........water-filled traps are located beneath each fixture to stop gas from entering the building.............IF NO VENT WAS INSTALLED....or improperly installed ......water rushing thru the drain pipes can pull the water out of the tub-trap and let the gas enter..............Check back with your installation "Plumber"........
IF there is a trap i've heard you can dump a small amount of vegetable oil down the drain to keep the water from evaporating from the trap. This was recommended for drains that don't get used. Now obviously you don't want to do this after your bath every day or your septic field, if you have one, will need to be fixed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?