We recently installed a bathroom in the basement of our house. There is a sewer smell coming from the bath tub drain. I did not do the installation, nor was I home when it was completed. What I can tell you is, when I pour some water down the drain the smell does go away for a while, but it always comes back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Was the job 'inspected'.........Drains need vents that take the sewer gasses thru the roof ...........water-filled traps are located beneath each fixture to stop gas from entering the building.............IF NO VENT WAS INSTALLED....or improperly installed ......water rushing thru the drain pipes can pull the water out of the tub-trap and let the gas enter..............Check back with your installation "Plumber"........
IF there is a trap i've heard you can dump a small amount of vegetable oil down the drain to keep the water from evaporating from the trap. This was recommended for drains that don't get used. Now obviously you don't want to do this after your bath every day or your septic field, if you have one, will need to be fixed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!