You need to sand the old pipe clean, so it's shiny. Wipe it dry. IF ANY WATER is finding its way to your joint, your seal will never seal. Try emptying the line from below, and perhaps even blowing air from the bathroom, out to drainpoint below. One trick is to 'stuff' a rolled up ball of white bread (not crust) into the old pipe, and push it about 3' down. If water were to be drawn towards the heated pipe, the bread will absorbe the water, expand, and prevent the water from making its way to the heated part of the pipe. Then, when you're finished, the bread will be pushed out and disolve under pressure.
Also, I flux both the old pipe AND the inside of the joint/fitting.
You're suppose to heat the joint, NOT the old pipe. You want the heat from the joint to 'transfer' to the old pipe, not the other way around.
Roll yourself a 'hook-shaped' piece of solder. Evenly heat around the joint. DON'T try to melt the solder directly. Let the heat from the pipe melt the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch the pipe w/the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch. Repeat until the solder starts to melt on the pipe. Make sure you run the solder all the way AROUND the pipe! That's the purpose of making the hook in the hard solder. (The hook allows you to get to the back side of the joint.)
Get a book and good luck! Father's Day is coming. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight