You need to sand the old pipe clean, so it's shiny. Wipe it dry. IF ANY WATER is finding its way to your joint, your seal will never seal. Try emptying the line from below, and perhaps even blowing air from the bathroom, out to drainpoint below. One trick is to 'stuff' a rolled up ball of white bread (not crust) into the old pipe, and push it about 3' down. If water were to be drawn towards the heated pipe, the bread will absorbe the water, expand, and prevent the water from making its way to the heated part of the pipe. Then, when you're finished, the bread will be pushed out and disolve under pressure.
Also, I flux both the old pipe AND the inside of the joint/fitting.
You're suppose to heat the joint, NOT the old pipe. You want the heat from the joint to 'transfer' to the old pipe, not the other way around.
Roll yourself a 'hook-shaped' piece of solder. Evenly heat around the joint. DON'T try to melt the solder directly. Let the heat from the pipe melt the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch the pipe w/the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch. Repeat until the solder starts to melt on the pipe. Make sure you run the solder all the way AROUND the pipe! That's the purpose of making the hook in the hard solder. (The hook allows you to get to the back side of the joint.)
Get a book and good luck! Father's Day is coming. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!