Installing a whirlpool tub in a bathroom remodel and am wondering about the order of installation steps. I have framed the tub enclosure and am ready to install the top decking (tile over 1/2" Hardiboard over exterior plywood sitting on 2x4 framing). The decking/tile will extend 3" outside the tub on the wall and front...5" outside the tub on either end. The faucets and filler will be mounted on the decking...not on the tub itself.
Based on my bathroom remodeling guide, I should attach the plywood decking, then set the tub in the enclosure (using 1 1/4" spacing blocks), then attach the Hardiboard and then install the tile. This seems to make installing the Hardiboard and tile to the top surface much more difficult. The tub has a 3/4" rim over the decking on all sides.
Can I tile the top decking first....then drop in the tub...and use 1/4" spacers to provide the necessary expansion gap?
Thanks in advance for any comments!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes