Cast Iron Sewer Line
I just purchased a 40yr old home. During my home inspection, teh inspector noted two small "rust bubbles" or "rust blisters" on the underside of the cast iorn sanitary sewer line in the basement (the sewer line is actually attached to the foundation wall in the basement), and stated that the sections or the entire line will have to be replaced.
I had 4 plumbers come over to give me estimates, 2 plumbers stated that it would cost between $1400 to $1800 dollars to replace the cast iron with PVC.
the 2 other plumbers stated that the cast iron pipe is fine, and that nothing need sto be done, and that the pipe is solid. One even stated that Cast iron doesn't rust in that way.
Which plumbers are correct?? Should I replace the line, or just have it snaked out (the tubs drain slowly in the house).
You pipe is probably Okay. We do not often have to replace cast iron 4" above ground. They do get blisters but that doesn't necessarily mean the pipe needs to get replaced. Home inspectors must cover many different trades and it is their responsibility to inform you of possible problems. Licensed tradepersons often need to check things that are noted by an inspector. The two that said replace are probably talking preventive maintenance. Many of us will not tell you you have to spend money unless you really do. Although I cannot see your pipe I tend to think you do not need to replace it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!