Cast Iron Sewer Line
I just purchased a 40yr old home. During my home inspection, teh inspector noted two small "rust bubbles" or "rust blisters" on the underside of the cast iorn sanitary sewer line in the basement (the sewer line is actually attached to the foundation wall in the basement), and stated that the sections or the entire line will have to be replaced.
I had 4 plumbers come over to give me estimates, 2 plumbers stated that it would cost between $1400 to $1800 dollars to replace the cast iron with PVC.
the 2 other plumbers stated that the cast iron pipe is fine, and that nothing need sto be done, and that the pipe is solid. One even stated that Cast iron doesn't rust in that way.
Which plumbers are correct?? Should I replace the line, or just have it snaked out (the tubs drain slowly in the house).
You pipe is probably Okay. We do not often have to replace cast iron 4" above ground. They do get blisters but that doesn't necessarily mean the pipe needs to get replaced. Home inspectors must cover many different trades and it is their responsibility to inform you of possible problems. Licensed tradepersons often need to check things that are noted by an inspector. The two that said replace are probably talking preventive maintenance. Many of us will not tell you you have to spend money unless you really do. Although I cannot see your pipe I tend to think you do not need to replace it.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Pest, Be Gone! 10 Steps to a Critter-Free Home
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight