Cast Iron Sewer Line
I just purchased a 40yr old home. During my home inspection, teh inspector noted two small "rust bubbles" or "rust blisters" on the underside of the cast iorn sanitary sewer line in the basement (the sewer line is actually attached to the foundation wall in the basement), and stated that the sections or the entire line will have to be replaced.
I had 4 plumbers come over to give me estimates, 2 plumbers stated that it would cost between $1400 to $1800 dollars to replace the cast iron with PVC.
the 2 other plumbers stated that the cast iron pipe is fine, and that nothing need sto be done, and that the pipe is solid. One even stated that Cast iron doesn't rust in that way.
Which plumbers are correct?? Should I replace the line, or just have it snaked out (the tubs drain slowly in the house).
You pipe is probably Okay. We do not often have to replace cast iron 4" above ground. They do get blisters but that doesn't necessarily mean the pipe needs to get replaced. Home inspectors must cover many different trades and it is their responsibility to inform you of possible problems. Licensed tradepersons often need to check things that are noted by an inspector. The two that said replace are probably talking preventive maintenance. Many of us will not tell you you have to spend money unless you really do. Although I cannot see your pipe I tend to think you do not need to replace it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects