Cast Iron Sewer Line
I just purchased a 40yr old home. During my home inspection, teh inspector noted two small "rust bubbles" or "rust blisters" on the underside of the cast iorn sanitary sewer line in the basement (the sewer line is actually attached to the foundation wall in the basement), and stated that the sections or the entire line will have to be replaced.
I had 4 plumbers come over to give me estimates, 2 plumbers stated that it would cost between $1400 to $1800 dollars to replace the cast iron with PVC.
the 2 other plumbers stated that the cast iron pipe is fine, and that nothing need sto be done, and that the pipe is solid. One even stated that Cast iron doesn't rust in that way.
Which plumbers are correct?? Should I replace the line, or just have it snaked out (the tubs drain slowly in the house).
You pipe is probably Okay. We do not often have to replace cast iron 4" above ground. They do get blisters but that doesn't necessarily mean the pipe needs to get replaced. Home inspectors must cover many different trades and it is their responsibility to inform you of possible problems. Licensed tradepersons often need to check things that are noted by an inspector. The two that said replace are probably talking preventive maintenance. Many of us will not tell you you have to spend money unless you really do. Although I cannot see your pipe I tend to think you do not need to replace it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees