I'm framing a tray ceiling in a new home we are building. Instead of a square tray, I'm going to build it as an elongated octagonal (Imagine a stop sign with two opposing sides stretched). I can think of several ways of doing it but I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any advice.
I currently have the larger bottom opening framed. My approach is to frame a continous rectangular ceiling above the opening and then use horizontal blocking between the joists to give myself a nailing surface to attach the angled 'rafters'.
So each 'rafter' if this is what they can be called will have two 45 degree cuts and look somewhat like a triagle. Each one will connect vertically to the framing on the lower ceiling and horizontally to the framing above. I imagine another way to do it is construct the upper ceiling framing so the rafters connect vertically to both the lower ceiling and the upper ceiling.
Maybe this is all a matter of taste but thought I'd through it out there in case someone has done this and can offer anything that I might have overlooked.
"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
Framing a drop ceiling in living area(not basement o...
framing for basement ceiling
Tray Ceiling/Molding & Paining IT
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?