I'm framing a tray ceiling in a new home we are building. Instead of a square tray, I'm going to build it as an elongated octagonal (Imagine a stop sign with two opposing sides stretched). I can think of several ways of doing it but I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any advice.
I currently have the larger bottom opening framed. My approach is to frame a continous rectangular ceiling above the opening and then use horizontal blocking between the joists to give myself a nailing surface to attach the angled 'rafters'.
So each 'rafter' if this is what they can be called will have two 45 degree cuts and look somewhat like a triagle. Each one will connect vertically to the framing on the lower ceiling and horizontally to the framing above. I imagine another way to do it is construct the upper ceiling framing so the rafters connect vertically to both the lower ceiling and the upper ceiling.
Maybe this is all a matter of taste but thought I'd through it out there in case someone has done this and can offer anything that I might have overlooked.
"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
Framing a drop ceiling in living area(not basement o...
framing for basement ceiling
Tray Ceiling/Molding & Paining IT
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda