I have an 18 month old Pennco gas furnace. Recently the emergency cutoff has been shutting it down and it will not refire. The serviceman came twice and pressed the restart button but as soon as he leaves it shuts down again. He said it may be caused by wind coming in the chimney, but why is this just happening now? The night it started happening, the circuit breaker on my microwave was tripped for no apparent reason and I wonder whether something in the furnace shorted it out. The serviceman says no way but it seems very coincidental. Any ideas because it is cold in the house with no heat??
Thank you for your reply. The repairman recommended a chimney cap, preferably one that twirls. He thought this would eliminate the draft. My concern is that after I go to the expense of installing the cap, it will turn out to be an electrical problem. The repairman insists that it is not electrical, but why else did the circuit breaker trip? Is there any way to find out for sure or is it just a process of elimination?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!