Are you referring to a chimney for a fireplace or a heating system? The signs would be loose and crumbling clay liner on the interior of the chimney. There wouldn't necessarily be visible clues from the exterior.
Did the sweep tell you he was sure the chimney would need relining even BEFORE looking at it? Did he see any evidence from the ground that the claimed to be a problem?
Would you have any idea what you were looking at?, probably not, which is what these scam artists rely on.
Alfred hit a few points, fireplace or furnace? Clay or metal?
Newer furnaces produce exhaust that is cooler,which has a tendency to give up the moisture in it before exiting the house.This moisture is acidic(byproduct of combustion) and will eat at the morter on clay stacks.This is a problem in chimineys on the outside of houses,generaly not a stack that runs in the middle of the house(insullated from cold air).
Fireplace, do you have "sandy" material directly below the chiminey?
I would call a trusted/recommemded heating and air company,possibly two if the work needed is extensive, to inspect the problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees