Are you referring to a chimney for a fireplace or a heating system? The signs would be loose and crumbling clay liner on the interior of the chimney. There wouldn't necessarily be visible clues from the exterior.
Did the sweep tell you he was sure the chimney would need relining even BEFORE looking at it? Did he see any evidence from the ground that the claimed to be a problem?
Would you have any idea what you were looking at?, probably not, which is what these scam artists rely on.
Alfred hit a few points, fireplace or furnace? Clay or metal?
Newer furnaces produce exhaust that is cooler,which has a tendency to give up the moisture in it before exiting the house.This moisture is acidic(byproduct of combustion) and will eat at the morter on clay stacks.This is a problem in chimineys on the outside of houses,generaly not a stack that runs in the middle of the house(insullated from cold air).
Fireplace, do you have "sandy" material directly below the chiminey?
I would call a trusted/recommemded heating and air company,possibly two if the work needed is extensive, to inspect the problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates