Are you referring to a chimney for a fireplace or a heating system? The signs would be loose and crumbling clay liner on the interior of the chimney. There wouldn't necessarily be visible clues from the exterior.
Did the sweep tell you he was sure the chimney would need relining even BEFORE looking at it? Did he see any evidence from the ground that the claimed to be a problem?
Would you have any idea what you were looking at?, probably not, which is what these scam artists rely on.
Alfred hit a few points, fireplace or furnace? Clay or metal?
Newer furnaces produce exhaust that is cooler,which has a tendency to give up the moisture in it before exiting the house.This moisture is acidic(byproduct of combustion) and will eat at the morter on clay stacks.This is a problem in chimineys on the outside of houses,generaly not a stack that runs in the middle of the house(insullated from cold air).
Fireplace, do you have "sandy" material directly below the chiminey?
I would call a trusted/recommemded heating and air company,possibly two if the work needed is extensive, to inspect the problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size