Hi- I just framed a 14X20 4 season porch with 8 ft ceilings and 10 5x2 windows and 2 3' exterior doors. One of the 20 ft walls attaches to the rear of the house- porch is suspended apprx 30" above ground with open air circulating underneath. I have been looking into heating options and have been getting feedback from heating experts that running baseboard heat out there will definitely freeze up on coldest days (10 degrees)(i have oil burning furnace) I have been reading about hydronic floor systems and propane wall units. I am looking to obviously get the most efficient system at the best price-- I have budget of about $2 grand but dont want to get soaked in the years ahead on operating costs. Any advice of total install and operating costs of any of the above mentioned or other alternatives would be much appreciated. Not interested in wood, corn, or pellet stoves. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your reply-- Yes- the rest of the house is hot water baseboard- The difference is that most of the piping is on an interior wall or is in the basement. This porch will have piping coming under the porch and following a route above and below the porch to complete the loop. The people I talked to mentioned the antifreeze but also said that the glycol will degrade rubber seals on any parts fitted with such. I also have reserves with cross contamination into our water supply. They also mentioned that the antifreeze leaks out and would need to be replaced in 7-8 years at $250 a pop. Sounds like $100 a year on parts and $250 every 8 years adds up to me ruling it out-- UNLESS I am getting fed a line of BS! The estimate for this was $2500 but $300 sounds good- but i need a new zone and the antifreeze but at $110 an hour for labor and a full days work min I cant see it coming out to less than $1500 from anyone. Obviously I havent found the right local guy to talk to and i cant find anyone hungry enough to even quote the job. I find this frustrating yet amazing- Any other suggestions would be much appreicated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes