I had the blower wheel and blower motor replaced 2 summers ago by a service tech (Lennox furnace with A/C). I didn't notice at the time but the tech replaced the five speed (five speed taps) 1/2 HP motor with a 3 speed (3 speed taps) motor.
More importantly I see the tech wired both the heat and cool lines from the controller to the black (the high speed) wire of the motor and just capped off the low and medium speed lines of the motor.
On my other furnace (with original blower) the heat line goes to the medium speed motor tap while the cool line goes to the high motor speed tap.
I am going to borrow an electronic thermometer to measure temperature rise from return to supply plenums and compare to label inside the furnace.
I guess my question is how important is getting the speed right on heat cycle? Obviously if it‚Äôs too high the air will not have as a high a temperature rise but in the grand scheme of things does this make a big difference on efficiency or comfort? I don‚Äôt know if I should consider this a major failing of the tech or just a common practice.
Cold Air Return Noise
Cold Air returns in the up stairs of my 1910 2 story...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Pest, Be Gone! 10 Steps to a Critter-Free Home
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight