Hi, we are planning to build a custom home in the Toronto area.
We are planning on doing a complete basement to roof ICF (insulated concrete form) construction.
We are planning as well to use all level infloor radiant heating.
A question which I have not been able to get properly answered is whether we should do a standard TGI joist floor with then plywood, followed by radiant floor heating, 2 inches of Gypson, insulate from underneath or simply use an ICF flooring system like Insul-Deck.
We have been unable to get a sense of the cost different for either method.
The TGI way has the following costs,
TGI beams able to support the floor, the radiant floor tubing and water weight, the plywood, the 2 inches of Gypson, the cost and labor of insulation for under the floor.
The Insul deck option is a one step process which takes care of all of the above and carries a higher mass which is probably better for the heating effect. The down side is that all pipes and floor holes have to be planned before the start of the concrete floor pour.
Do you have any opionion and any experience with an ICF floor in a residential project?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!