Hi, we are planning to build a custom home in the Toronto area.
We are planning on doing a complete basement to roof ICF (insulated concrete form) construction.
We are planning as well to use all level infloor radiant heating.
A question which I have not been able to get properly answered is whether we should do a standard TGI joist floor with then plywood, followed by radiant floor heating, 2 inches of Gypson, insulate from underneath or simply use an ICF flooring system like Insul-Deck.
We have been unable to get a sense of the cost different for either method.
The TGI way has the following costs,
TGI beams able to support the floor, the radiant floor tubing and water weight, the plywood, the 2 inches of Gypson, the cost and labor of insulation for under the floor.
The Insul deck option is a one step process which takes care of all of the above and carries a higher mass which is probably better for the heating effect. The down side is that all pipes and floor holes have to be planned before the start of the concrete floor pour.
Do you have any opionion and any experience with an ICF floor in a residential project?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight