Hi, we are planning to build a custom home in the Toronto area.
We are planning on doing a complete basement to roof ICF (insulated concrete form) construction.
We are planning as well to use all level infloor radiant heating.
A question which I have not been able to get properly answered is whether we should do a standard TGI joist floor with then plywood, followed by radiant floor heating, 2 inches of Gypson, insulate from underneath or simply use an ICF flooring system like Insul-Deck.
We have been unable to get a sense of the cost different for either method.
The TGI way has the following costs,
TGI beams able to support the floor, the radiant floor tubing and water weight, the plywood, the 2 inches of Gypson, the cost and labor of insulation for under the floor.
The Insul deck option is a one step process which takes care of all of the above and carries a higher mass which is probably better for the heating effect. The down side is that all pipes and floor holes have to be planned before the start of the concrete floor pour.
Do you have any opionion and any experience with an ICF floor in a residential project?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs