Hi, we are planning to build a custom home in the Toronto area.
We are planning on doing a complete basement to roof ICF (insulated concrete form) construction.
We are planning as well to use all level infloor radiant heating.
A question which I have not been able to get properly answered is whether we should do a standard TGI joist floor with then plywood, followed by radiant floor heating, 2 inches of Gypson, insulate from underneath or simply use an ICF flooring system like Insul-Deck.
We have been unable to get a sense of the cost different for either method.
The TGI way has the following costs,
TGI beams able to support the floor, the radiant floor tubing and water weight, the plywood, the 2 inches of Gypson, the cost and labor of insulation for under the floor.
The Insul deck option is a one step process which takes care of all of the above and carries a higher mass which is probably better for the heating effect. The down side is that all pipes and floor holes have to be planned before the start of the concrete floor pour.
Do you have any opionion and any experience with an ICF floor in a residential project?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them