Hi, we are planning to build a custom home in the Toronto area.
We are planning on doing a complete basement to roof ICF (insulated concrete form) construction.
We are planning as well to use all level infloor radiant heating.
A question which I have not been able to get properly answered is whether we should do a standard TGI joist floor with then plywood, followed by radiant floor heating, 2 inches of Gypson, insulate from underneath or simply use an ICF flooring system like Insul-Deck.
We have been unable to get a sense of the cost different for either method.
The TGI way has the following costs,
TGI beams able to support the floor, the radiant floor tubing and water weight, the plywood, the 2 inches of Gypson, the cost and labor of insulation for under the floor.
The Insul deck option is a one step process which takes care of all of the above and carries a higher mass which is probably better for the heating effect. The down side is that all pipes and floor holes have to be planned before the start of the concrete floor pour.
Do you have any opionion and any experience with an ICF floor in a residential project?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY