I recently purchased a new home and have begun renovating the basement I have discovered that a switch a 3 way switch has been wired incorrectly it can turn off/on from upstairs but the downstairs can only turn off once turned off in the basement it ceases to work correcly from upstairs. I have wired several times in the past (3houses 2 basements) but have never wired a 3 way switch if someone can provided an explanation as well as a wiring diagram I would appreciate it.
Each switch has three screws. Notice the one screw that is of a different color (usually black). It is important that the power coming in and the power wire going out of the switchboxes are connected to these two screws. The other two screws (brass) simply carry the traveler wires. If your power coming in and going out are as I mentioned, and the switches are not working properly, simply go to one of the switches and swap the two wires on the brass screws. Please make sure your power is off. ENJOY!!!!
Dear William: Some possibilties; one of the carrier wires between the switches is broken or is loose at a terminal, the lower switch is broke (stuck in one position) or is the wrong type switch (the latter is more common than you'd believe). The carrier wires are not polarity dependent, so swapping them around will make no difference. I haven't figured out how to scan a document into outlook express, so if you have access to a fax, call or e-mail me and I'll send you a very simple diagram. I've been an electrician for 35 years and these switches still sometimes give me fits. A diag helps. Brian Wood 800 851 9891 or email@example.com Happy New Year.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight