I recently purchased a new home and have begun renovating the basement I have discovered that a switch a 3 way switch has been wired incorrectly it can turn off/on from upstairs but the downstairs can only turn off once turned off in the basement it ceases to work correcly from upstairs. I have wired several times in the past (3houses 2 basements) but have never wired a 3 way switch if someone can provided an explanation as well as a wiring diagram I would appreciate it.
Each switch has three screws. Notice the one screw that is of a different color (usually black). It is important that the power coming in and the power wire going out of the switchboxes are connected to these two screws. The other two screws (brass) simply carry the traveler wires. If your power coming in and going out are as I mentioned, and the switches are not working properly, simply go to one of the switches and swap the two wires on the brass screws. Please make sure your power is off. ENJOY!!!!
Dear William: Some possibilties; one of the carrier wires between the switches is broken or is loose at a terminal, the lower switch is broke (stuck in one position) or is the wrong type switch (the latter is more common than you'd believe). The carrier wires are not polarity dependent, so swapping them around will make no difference. I haven't figured out how to scan a document into outlook express, so if you have access to a fax, call or e-mail me and I'll send you a very simple diagram. I've been an electrician for 35 years and these switches still sometimes give me fits. A diag helps. Brian Wood 800 851 9891 or [email protected] Happy New Year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes