I recently purchased a new home and have begun renovating the basement I have discovered that a switch a 3 way switch has been wired incorrectly it can turn off/on from upstairs but the downstairs can only turn off once turned off in the basement it ceases to work correcly from upstairs. I have wired several times in the past (3houses 2 basements) but have never wired a 3 way switch if someone can provided an explanation as well as a wiring diagram I would appreciate it.
Each switch has three screws. Notice the one screw that is of a different color (usually black). It is important that the power coming in and the power wire going out of the switchboxes are connected to these two screws. The other two screws (brass) simply carry the traveler wires. If your power coming in and going out are as I mentioned, and the switches are not working properly, simply go to one of the switches and swap the two wires on the brass screws. Please make sure your power is off. ENJOY!!!!
Dear William: Some possibilties; one of the carrier wires between the switches is broken or is loose at a terminal, the lower switch is broke (stuck in one position) or is the wrong type switch (the latter is more common than you'd believe). The carrier wires are not polarity dependent, so swapping them around will make no difference. I haven't figured out how to scan a document into outlook express, so if you have access to a fax, call or e-mail me and I'll send you a very simple diagram. I've been an electrician for 35 years and these switches still sometimes give me fits. A diag helps. Brian Wood 800 851 9891 or [email protected] Happy New Year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects