I'm having a deck built, and the contractor is installing an electrical outlet on the deck and below the deck on a post, with most of the wiring running under the deck. It appears that the wiring used is common household wiring--and it is certainly not armored or inside conduit. Could this installation be to code? Is there a type of wire that looks like household wiring that is acceptable for outdoor use?
There is an outdoor cable that, to a casual observer, looks just like inside cable.
Take a close look at the printing on the cable, if you see the letters "UF" and maybe some wording about sunlight resistance, it is the right type of wire.
I'd like to add a comment - you say the 'contractor' is installing this outlet. You don't say where you live but a permit is normally required for all electrical work. I always advise homeowner's to insist on permits because electrical (especially outdoor work) can be quite dangerous if not done correctly. There are a number of extra considerations for outdoor wiring (due to sunlight and weather exposure)....correct type of weatherproof box, fittings, support, wire, GFCI, etc. If all of these components are not done correctly then there is a 'weak link' in the installation that can lead to deterioration of the conductors and thus electrical hazard. If you are in fact using a 'contractor' for this work he is required to comply with the local codes and this does include getting an electrical permit for his work.
Wiring a programmable timer switch
Outdoor wiring-- Am I doing this right?? Please Advi...
tracing underground wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps