I'm having a deck built, and the contractor is installing an electrical outlet on the deck and below the deck on a post, with most of the wiring running under the deck. It appears that the wiring used is common household wiring--and it is certainly not armored or inside conduit. Could this installation be to code? Is there a type of wire that looks like household wiring that is acceptable for outdoor use?
There is an outdoor cable that, to a casual observer, looks just like inside cable.
Take a close look at the printing on the cable, if you see the letters "UF" and maybe some wording about sunlight resistance, it is the right type of wire.
I'd like to add a comment - you say the 'contractor' is installing this outlet. You don't say where you live but a permit is normally required for all electrical work. I always advise homeowner's to insist on permits because electrical (especially outdoor work) can be quite dangerous if not done correctly. There are a number of extra considerations for outdoor wiring (due to sunlight and weather exposure)....correct type of weatherproof box, fittings, support, wire, GFCI, etc. If all of these components are not done correctly then there is a 'weak link' in the installation that can lead to deterioration of the conductors and thus electrical hazard. If you are in fact using a 'contractor' for this work he is required to comply with the local codes and this does include getting an electrical permit for his work.
Wiring a programmable timer switch
Outdoor wiring-- Am I doing this right?? Please Advi...
tracing underground wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools