I'm having a deck built, and the contractor is installing an electrical outlet on the deck and below the deck on a post, with most of the wiring running under the deck. It appears that the wiring used is common household wiring--and it is certainly not armored or inside conduit. Could this installation be to code? Is there a type of wire that looks like household wiring that is acceptable for outdoor use?
There is an outdoor cable that, to a casual observer, looks just like inside cable.
Take a close look at the printing on the cable, if you see the letters "UF" and maybe some wording about sunlight resistance, it is the right type of wire.
I'd like to add a comment - you say the 'contractor' is installing this outlet. You don't say where you live but a permit is normally required for all electrical work. I always advise homeowner's to insist on permits because electrical (especially outdoor work) can be quite dangerous if not done correctly. There are a number of extra considerations for outdoor wiring (due to sunlight and weather exposure)....correct type of weatherproof box, fittings, support, wire, GFCI, etc. If all of these components are not done correctly then there is a 'weak link' in the installation that can lead to deterioration of the conductors and thus electrical hazard. If you are in fact using a 'contractor' for this work he is required to comply with the local codes and this does include getting an electrical permit for his work.
Wiring a programmable timer switch
Outdoor wiring-- Am I doing this right?? Please Advi...
tracing underground wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!