I'm having a deck built, and the contractor is installing an electrical outlet on the deck and below the deck on a post, with most of the wiring running under the deck. It appears that the wiring used is common household wiring--and it is certainly not armored or inside conduit. Could this installation be to code? Is there a type of wire that looks like household wiring that is acceptable for outdoor use?
There is an outdoor cable that, to a casual observer, looks just like inside cable.
Take a close look at the printing on the cable, if you see the letters "UF" and maybe some wording about sunlight resistance, it is the right type of wire.
I'd like to add a comment - you say the 'contractor' is installing this outlet. You don't say where you live but a permit is normally required for all electrical work. I always advise homeowner's to insist on permits because electrical (especially outdoor work) can be quite dangerous if not done correctly. There are a number of extra considerations for outdoor wiring (due to sunlight and weather exposure)....correct type of weatherproof box, fittings, support, wire, GFCI, etc. If all of these components are not done correctly then there is a 'weak link' in the installation that can lead to deterioration of the conductors and thus electrical hazard. If you are in fact using a 'contractor' for this work he is required to comply with the local codes and this does include getting an electrical permit for his work.
Wiring a programmable timer switch
Outdoor wiring-- Am I doing this right?? Please Advi...
tracing underground wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs