painting over varnish
Hollow-core closet doors were varnished. I wanted to paint with semi-gloss white. I sanded doors first. First coat of white didn't really cover, so I put on second coat a couple of hours later. As it dried, I noticed several yellow streaks which appeared to be bleeding through. I then applied a third coat, and streaks are coming through again. I've waited 24 hours, and am wondering if a fourth coat will help (perhaps I didn't wait long enough between other coats?). I would hate to have to start all over with a primer. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Been there. It isn't pretty, and it doesn't go away. Use a shellac based primer to seal the entire door and then recoat with the semigloss. Shellac is totally compatible with oil or latex finishes and seals one from the other. Follow the directions on the can. I usually use a foam brush for this, but it will cause the brush to break up if you take too long. It requires solvents to clean up, so I like to just be able to pitch the brush. Sorry to tell you you need at least two more coats, but you do. These primers are really good for basecoating any previously finished surface because they block stains, have good hiding power, and are easy to apply and to recoat over. Saves on finish paint amounts and effort. Good luck.
repairing pin holes and dimples before painting drywall
Spar varnish colored like orange shellac.
painting ceramic tile
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes