painting over varnish
Hollow-core closet doors were varnished. I wanted to paint with semi-gloss white. I sanded doors first. First coat of white didn't really cover, so I put on second coat a couple of hours later. As it dried, I noticed several yellow streaks which appeared to be bleeding through. I then applied a third coat, and streaks are coming through again. I've waited 24 hours, and am wondering if a fourth coat will help (perhaps I didn't wait long enough between other coats?). I would hate to have to start all over with a primer. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Been there. It isn't pretty, and it doesn't go away. Use a shellac based primer to seal the entire door and then recoat with the semigloss. Shellac is totally compatible with oil or latex finishes and seals one from the other. Follow the directions on the can. I usually use a foam brush for this, but it will cause the brush to break up if you take too long. It requires solvents to clean up, so I like to just be able to pitch the brush. Sorry to tell you you need at least two more coats, but you do. These primers are really good for basecoating any previously finished surface because they block stains, have good hiding power, and are easy to apply and to recoat over. Saves on finish paint amounts and effort. Good luck.
repairing pin holes and dimples before painting drywall
Spar varnish colored like orange shellac.
painting ceramic tile
wall paper over wall paper or paint over wall paper
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!