painting over varnish
Hollow-core closet doors were varnished. I wanted to paint with semi-gloss white. I sanded doors first. First coat of white didn't really cover, so I put on second coat a couple of hours later. As it dried, I noticed several yellow streaks which appeared to be bleeding through. I then applied a third coat, and streaks are coming through again. I've waited 24 hours, and am wondering if a fourth coat will help (perhaps I didn't wait long enough between other coats?). I would hate to have to start all over with a primer. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Been there. It isn't pretty, and it doesn't go away. Use a shellac based primer to seal the entire door and then recoat with the semigloss. Shellac is totally compatible with oil or latex finishes and seals one from the other. Follow the directions on the can. I usually use a foam brush for this, but it will cause the brush to break up if you take too long. It requires solvents to clean up, so I like to just be able to pitch the brush. Sorry to tell you you need at least two more coats, but you do. These primers are really good for basecoating any previously finished surface because they block stains, have good hiding power, and are easy to apply and to recoat over. Saves on finish paint amounts and effort. Good luck.
repairing pin holes and dimples before painting drywall
Spar varnish colored like orange shellac.
painting ceramic tile
Painting over formica
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight