Painting behind toilet tank
Flush, and with your hand, hold open the flapper in the tank to release most of the water in the tank. Remove the remaining 1/2 inch of water with a sponge or an old towel.
Now, at the bottom, left of the tank, disconnect the bottom of the fill valve assembly by unscrewing the cap where the tube from the shutoff valve connects to the bottom of the tank.
Last thing is unscrew the 2 nuts (usually wing nuts) that hold the tank to the bowl.
These are under the tank, behind the bowl. Now, you can lift the tank off the bowl.
I suggest you have a big, old towel on the floor to place the tank on. It's sometimes messy.
When you put it all back, make sure that the fill valve is sitting straight, and the float is not binding against the inside of the tank.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited July 12, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda