I've just purchased an 1830-1860's farm house in Montpelier VT,("needs work" is an understatement) and I think I need to start by replacing the roof. My question is how to insulate? It's been suggested I should be concerned about condesation. The roof boards look tight enough so that with heavy felt, plywood shouldn't be needed, and in fact, no one has given me an estimate that includes plywood. But, back to insulation. Should I have the roofer put down 1 1/2 inch styrofoam from roof edge up to beyond ceiling height on second floor, fill the rest with 2x4s and then lay plywood over everything, felt and then architectural shingles... or should I try to insulate from within, and rip out walls to insulate and then blow in insulation on top of 2nd floor ceiling? Seems messy to start ripping out walls....but it also seems kind of important to put some sort of insulation there to prevent condensation. Am also probably going to ask for a ridge vent so the house can breathe a bit. Am I going overboard to think about putting a layer of insulation ON the old roof boards and under the new shingles?
Thanks for any advice from folks who know...
ive never heard of someone putting insulation on the roof and that is not a good idea at all really. you want to keep the roof cold otherwise it will melt the ice on the roof and create ice dams and then you will have a whole mess of problems. you need ridge vent and soffit vents, and insulation on the floors of your attic as a really general guide. the roof boards although old if they are in good shape then there is no need to replace them, just use standard felt and shingles and you will be fine.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!