I've just purchased an 1830-1860's farm house in Montpelier VT,("needs work" is an understatement) and I think I need to start by replacing the roof. My question is how to insulate? It's been suggested I should be concerned about condesation. The roof boards look tight enough so that with heavy felt, plywood shouldn't be needed, and in fact, no one has given me an estimate that includes plywood. But, back to insulation. Should I have the roofer put down 1 1/2 inch styrofoam from roof edge up to beyond ceiling height on second floor, fill the rest with 2x4s and then lay plywood over everything, felt and then architectural shingles... or should I try to insulate from within, and rip out walls to insulate and then blow in insulation on top of 2nd floor ceiling? Seems messy to start ripping out walls....but it also seems kind of important to put some sort of insulation there to prevent condensation. Am also probably going to ask for a ridge vent so the house can breathe a bit. Am I going overboard to think about putting a layer of insulation ON the old roof boards and under the new shingles?
Thanks for any advice from folks who know...
ive never heard of someone putting insulation on the roof and that is not a good idea at all really. you want to keep the roof cold otherwise it will melt the ice on the roof and create ice dams and then you will have a whole mess of problems. you need ridge vent and soffit vents, and insulation on the floors of your attic as a really general guide. the roof boards although old if they are in good shape then there is no need to replace them, just use standard felt and shingles and you will be fine.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!