with an oil base porch paint. It has not
dried in two and a half days. It is still
gooey and sticky. How can I remove it if
it does not eventually dry?
What is happening is it isn't penetrating the boards for the boards natural oil and solvent is working it's way out,(ageing)and with the product on it will take this along time to do this.
If you have time to wait it out it will work out fine,dirt may stick and may get grity,but it is a deck board.
Otherwise if you don't have time to wait it out,wipe it down with a damp rag of lacqueor thinner,mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Laq. thinner is the best it will speed up drying process and penetrate the boards better because it has a hooter agent than the other 2.
Ive had people call me with homes they stained with Sikkens a 3 coat process on green wood and it took 5 months for the stain to set up and do it's job.(I did not do this)but i took a look at it,they wanted to know if it needed to be redone.I could of made easy $$ here but it was fien and looked nice with just a light cleaning because dust collected to it,so all we did was lightly pressure wash it.
I don't know what prep you used but if the old floors had any wax buildup or other impurities, that could affect things adversly also.
Exterior paints are softer than interior are too. It's a wear layer to slough off UV rays.
use heat, fans, and ventilation along with patience. If there isa thick layer of floor paint and you dry it too fast, it can skin over and l;eave a softer gel layer in the middle that will always scratch easily.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them