Painting exterior railing
Think of oil and latex paint for what they are.Oil soaks in...latex covers the surface.Latex can go over oil,but oil cannot go over latex.Your oil primer is fine on bare spots,however,if the previous paint was latex,then your finish coat should be the same.To make matters simple,you could have primed and finished in latex.
I would recommend oil primer because is grabs better on wood (in my opinion). As for the topcoat - a good quality 100% Acrylic latex will outlast any oil outside.
So - this should be - 1 coat of exterior oil primer - and 2 coats of 100% Acrylic Latex topcpoat - either Semi-Gloss or Gloss
If you use latex primer you had better use a latex top coat too.
If you use a oil primer use oil or latex top coat.Some people say this does not matter,
Everyone has their own thinking and opinions even the paint makers.
I have been doing this for awhile and their are a few old schoolers out their that say this but we have never seen this,so no matter what you should be pretty safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes