Painting exterior railing
Think of oil and latex paint for what they are.Oil soaks in...latex covers the surface.Latex can go over oil,but oil cannot go over latex.Your oil primer is fine on bare spots,however,if the previous paint was latex,then your finish coat should be the same.To make matters simple,you could have primed and finished in latex.
I would recommend oil primer because is grabs better on wood (in my opinion). As for the topcoat - a good quality 100% Acrylic latex will outlast any oil outside.
So - this should be - 1 coat of exterior oil primer - and 2 coats of 100% Acrylic Latex topcpoat - either Semi-Gloss or Gloss
If you use latex primer you had better use a latex top coat too.
If you use a oil primer use oil or latex top coat.Some people say this does not matter,
Everyone has their own thinking and opinions even the paint makers.
I have been doing this for awhile and their are a few old schoolers out their that say this but we have never seen this,so no matter what you should be pretty safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Experts Pick 12 Never-Fail Colors
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 8 Paint Colors to Help Sell Your House
- Furniture Arranging 101
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Brilliant Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- Bob Vila's 10 "Must Do" Projects for July
- 15 Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 10 “Zero Dollar” Storage Hacks to Try Today
- AVOID These 5 Popular Home Improvements
- 11 Top Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 14 Ways to Make Good Use of Your Old Stuff
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes