I have a 500 hundred gallon butane tank in the yard. I live in the country, no nature gas here. My tank is looking pretty ratty. I want to paint it, but figure with my luck, when I try to brush it down with a steel brush, it will probably blow up in my face. Should I do this when the tank is full or almost empty? In the evening when it is warm to the touch or in the morning when it is coolest? I know I need paint for metal, but can I paint the tank a color, or does it have to stay bright, reflective silver? So much to do around here and so little knowledge!
I would hand sand it with rough sandpaper to remove the rust and peeling/flaking paint, oh if it is dirty and mildewed you will need to wash first with bleach and dishwashing liquid. Then you will want to prime it with an oil based metal primer to control the rust. The finish paint can any exterior acrylic. As far as the color I would call the people you get gas from to see if you can paint a color other than white or silver. I would think that you would to paint it when it is almost empty and during the midle of the day when the metal is warm.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes