Any advice is appreciated
Any advice is appreciated
Hmmmm - You've sealed the grout and it gets dirty??? I may be missing something but white is going to show the MOST dirt. Also, HOPEFULLY, the grout itself isn't getting dirty but only the TOP of the grout. As you know, the reason the grout is sealed, among others, is to keep dirt OUT of it. If, after cleaning the grout, it is clean, that's good!
You did mention that you're using a lot of elbow grease. Maybe you need to re-seal. Clean the grout, and kinda 'rinse' it w/water when your done, and let it dry overnight. Then, reseal again. Just for the record, re-read the Instructions on the Grout Sealer can so you're still clear on the what and hows.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: I love the look and feel of ceramic tile but I hate it too when it comes to cleaning the grout. I have Armstrong Solarium Vinyl Sheeting in my kitchen, with the 'look' of ceramic tile. For me, it works much, MUCH better than ceramic tile ...
PPS: God Bless America!
I've pondered your problem and it comes to thought that you should regrout. Purchase a grout saw at Home Depot. This is an implement that will remove the old grout enough to regrout sucessfully. Since you're no stranger to elbow grease, do it one more time. After removing the old grout, clean the sapces with a solution of muriatic acid; FOR GOODNESS SAKE, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND WEAR THE RECOMMENDED SAFTEY EQUIPMENT. Flush well with clean water and regrout. I,ve tried all the sealers on the market, but the best solution I came up with is to use a flat marine polyurathe finish called Helmsman. It is also available at home depot. Again, this is time consuming. You do not want it on your tile, just the grout. I used it in my kitchen and applied it in 3 coats with an artists brush. The results are fantastic. And sorry JayJ, I will not use sheet vinyl, as in my opinion, it is way too fragile. I try to persuade my customers to go with resielient tile as it is much more sturdy, and the commercial grade will last 20 years.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps